Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - has anyone else had any problems with tires wearing quickly on their Focus. I had to replace the factory tires on my brand new Focus at only 22,000 miles. I have a regular shimmy that I can feel when I drive over 65 mph, but the dealership can never feel it. So, I went and bought four new tires, still had a shimmy, had an alignment, and had the tires road force balanced, and regularly rotated. At the last oil change the shop told me my tires were about ready for replacement. I had only put 13,000 miles on them, and of course, I still have a shimmy. I put four more new tires on it today. I had the Ford dealer do an alignment and road force balance the new tires too. They tell me the alignment was out only slightly. I haven't driven it really yet because it's New Years Eve, but will tomorrow to see if I still have a shimmy. I am pretty sure I will, cuz I think it's in the car not the tires, unless I have the worst luck with tires, which is not very likely.

Anyway, if anyone else has had any problems of this kind, I would sure like to know about it.

Thanks
Trudy

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
What type of rims do you have? If you have the factory hub caps they can cause your wheels out of balance if they are on a little crooked. Also if your brakes get hot and warp they can cause a shimmy around 60 mph or faster. If you are an aggressive driver, that could cause tire wear and brakes to wear out faster and warp. I do not know if this is what is going on. But just some ideal's to try to help out. I hope the new alignment works out. And Happy New! and welcome to the site. [welcome] [headbang]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just replaced the tires on my wife's ZX4 at 23000, I thought just crummy original equipment tires. No shimmy or vibration. Hopefully the new Toyos last better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
20,000 is normal for factory tires on a new car, unless your buying a Cadilac. 13,000 isnt very long tho, unless you had gotten really cheap tires.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Did the Dealer give you a printed report of your alignment? If so why don't you post it up so we can see it. I leaned that the focus alignment specs are pretty broad. So it may be 'in spec', but still eat tires.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's quite possible you have a slightly bent rim. The guys doing the tire balance jobs may not have said anything....happens. The things may be balanced perfectly, but still shake.

So unless you actually saw the tires spin on the balance machine, you'll never know.

That's how I traced down a slight shimmy on my '06. Had it balanced two times and it still had a shake. The third time I watched the thing on the machine. One rim had a slight shake. I bought a used rim here...fixed the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
bent rim won't account for all the tires. just the one that is bent. then it will cause cupping, and that is very audible on a focus. (center caps??)
those plastic caps weigh less than an ounce, and won't cause a vibration. actually the focus comes from the factory with pretty decent tires. camber and caster are not adjustable unless you change out parts. toe is critical though,esp on rear. spec is .50+ total but .19+ per side is prefered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree with all, but aside from the quality of tires (in some cases Kumhos and in others Goodyear RS-As) what kind of roads are you driving on and what are your driving habits? I think, without knowing what tires AND the roads you are driving on and whether you are an agressive driver, I think it would be hard to say for sure what might be causing the problem.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
As mentioned , the Ford alignment specs are really broad and there are some combinations that end up being a recipe for inside edge tire wear. Rear toe needs to be set to the minimum amount of allowable toe-in. The minimum is .15 degrees of toe-in per side for a 2005. You need to ask for that setting specifically or you won't get it. Up front you want just a little bit of toe-out or about -0.10 degrees (that's the minimum for spec for that year).

You didn't mention if your car is lowered or not. If so please let us know so we can offer some revised figures. Also, if your rear camber is more than -1.5 degrees you should think of lowering it a little. The cheapest way to do it is with some aftermarket camber bolts. A combination of too much camber with modest amounts of toe can easily cause inside edge tire wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts