Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really old guy parks across from me under the apartment building. We talk some. (Actually I yell, he talks, he is half deaf) His dash gauge lights do not work with the headlights off. With the parking lights, yes. With the headlight on yes the dash gauge lights work.
So it is only when the headlight switch is fully 'off' no dash gauge lights at all.

He asked me. I am ?? clueless. I fiddled with the dimmer next to the headlight switch to no avail. (the dimmer does work on the dash area IF the headlights are turned on)
Any suggestions?
The car he owns is a base 4 door rental he bought a few years ago.
I have a 2014 Focus ST.

He is really no a mechanical guy. He may have flipped a switch and no idea he even did it. So I wonder IS there some other switch? Or, maybe the car was one with DaytimeRunningLights and it was turned into no DRL and now is acting up?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,009 Posts
Most likely the bulbs are burnt out. Thats how mine is, I just haven't fixed it yet.

If I turn my car on at night without headlights on, I can't see from 0-55ish, once i turn the headlights on or running lights it activates night mode I will call it and the bulbs turn on.

Just pull out the gauge cluster and replace the burnt/worn out bulbs and all will be good again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There are no bulbs. They are soldered in LEDs.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,009 Posts
Ok, LED could have burnt out then. Can PM starfury, he would probably know since he does light conversions for the cars.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Aren't the dash lights supposed to be off when the lights are off?? But come on when the doors open? I think thats how mine work.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,009 Posts
Well you may know better as you have an MK2. But MK1 like I have, they are like half illuminated. Then come on brighter once nighttime comes around. I'll see tonight and get back.

Someone else should answer though. Or search I guess as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the 09 se and no lights come on without the headlight switch turned to parking lights or full headlights, all my previous cars have been like that too, no dash/ gauge lights without the switch on!

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my 2008 w/ white faced gauges, the lights do not turn on unless the headlight switch is at least in the parking light position. So I don't think his car has a problem, thats just how it is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most cars are made like that, having them lit up in the bright daylight, is like having street lights on at noon on a sunny day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts