Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.. i got these subs from crutchfield about a month ago.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=road+thunder&i=236RT12X2A

now my problem is.. recently i just noticed how the left sub is a bit quieter and it is making a rattling noise when the bass hits. it is definitially alot different when i first got them. it says i have a 2 yr warranty on crutchfield.. so im not sure if i should just call them and ask for a replacement or what. could someone guide me in the right direction because i really need to do something about this.. im not going to be able to keep it the way it is for long..

thanks.. and +Rep will be given to any helpful answers :]

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
If it were me I would call and talk to a tech , I had an MTX amp die on me after I got it installed called them told them the problem and went through a few suggestions to make sure it was the amp and not the wiring.
He and I both decided that it was wired up correct so they sent me out a replacement no questions asked.

It could be that your box was knocked around during shipping and a wire may have came loose.
On all my sub boxes I use 1 amp and bridge the connections .

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If they were working fine before, something might have gotten loose, check your connections from your amp to your subs. Im sure you have one amp for both subs right? Sounds like a loose connection or something isnt grounded right, or maybe the sub went bad, check for any holes in the sub as well.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i dont see any holes in the sub at all. and right now i am just using 1 amp (kenwood kac-7202) and i have the connection bridged. and from what i can see.. all the connections are fine. im not sure if i should just try calling crutchfield or what because they are significantly different and ive only had them for about a month..

·
Registered
301 Posts
if they are bridged they are 'seeing' the same signal, so they should sound the same. when they hit, do they both move outwards?

the rattling could just be 'wire slap' from the terminal leads hitting the cone.

pull the subs and check everything internally.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not sure what the rattling is. but i read the warranty sheet, and if the subs are pulled out.. the warranty goes invaild. so im not sure if i wanna do that. should i just call crutchfield and see what they say?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'd call crutchfield, it's kinda a BS stipulation in the warranty but if that's what you gotta do, that's what you gotta do.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I would call , just tell them what's going on and I'm sure they will help you to the best of their knowledge and you could possibly get a new set up out of it .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
95% positive its a bad voice coil on that sub....with everything off push gently on the sub that doesn't sound right and if you here a scratching or crunching sound its def a bad voice coil and I would then call crutchfield and ask them for a replacement.... make sure when you push on the sub that you are pushing on the center of the woofer..

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright guys. i called crutchfield last night and talked the their customer support. the lady i talked to was great. i told them how it makes a rattling noise and that the voice coil may be blown. she asked what amp i had, and i told her that it was the kenwood kac-7202 bridged with the gain turned down and then she said that she would check if they had any packages they could send out to me for a replacement. so, she got back on the line and told me that they were gonna send me a completely new enclosure and then i just had to ship the old one back. great service, and i am very pleased! :] go crutchfield!

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Customer Support at Crutchfield rocks .. What I like is the lifetime support on the product you get from them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
95% positive its a bad voice coil on that sub....with everything off push gently on the sub that doesn't sound right and if you here a scratching or crunching sound its def a bad voice coil and I would then call crutchfield and ask them for a replacement.... make sure when you push on the sub that you are pushing on the center of the woofer..

....[thankyou]

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol.. well i did that test and i didnt really hear anything but everytime there is low bass it just freaks out and makes those crunching noises. but either way, thanks much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts