Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A longtime blue oval motorhead and I were looking around under the hood, and he noticed the assembly above the right (passenger side) halfshaft, just to the right of the catalytic converter. It has a shield on it to protect it from CC heat, and is part of a cast housing where the halfshaft exits on its way to the wheel.
What is it and/or what does it do? When a BOM is perplexed, then so am I; he has a last-gen Focus himself....(along with a 55 T-bird, couple 70s Mustangs), all redone, by him.
Moon

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not sure what you are talking about but is it the electric power steering?

·
Registered
524 Posts
How about a pic of what your are talking about? Not sure what a half shaft is myself.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Half shaft is the cv.

Are you talking about where the cv meets the transmission?

Post a pic.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
That is the flux capacitor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have got to learn how to post pics.
The 'thing' in question is an aluminum casting behind the engine, directly above where the right hand halfshaft heads to the passenger side wheel.
It is blunt and square on the right end, with a black plastic cover. It tapers in steps to the left and the top is rounded; the left end is bolted to an aluminum heat shield.
If you follow the right-side halfshaft, you can't miss it.
Moon

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have got to learn how to post pics.
The 'thing' in question is an aluminum casting behind the engine, directly above where the right hand halfshaft heads to the passenger side wheel.
It is blunt and square on the right end, with a black plastic cover. It tapers in steps to the left and the top is rounded; the left end is bolted to an aluminum heat shield.
If you follow the right-side halfshaft, you can't miss it.
Moon
Sounds like a electric power steering pump.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
It's the CIA's black box. They're tracking your every move, every speeding incident, every ebrake pull. EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's part of your steering rack. I'm guessing that is where the power assist happens. I see it in my parts illustration, but it is sold only with the rack so it doesn't tell me exactly what it is.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
A longtime blue oval motorhead and I were looking around under the hood, and he noticed the assembly above the right (passenger side) halfshaft, just to the right of the catalytic converter. It has a shield on it to protect it from CC heat, and is part of a cast housing where the halfshaft exits on its way to the wheel.
What is it and/or what does it do?
I believe you are talking about the motor for the power steering assist.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty sure he is talking about this.

Pretty sure you are right. Thanks Jdog. Saw the booted 'shaft' and assumed it was drive, not steering. All, appreciate the comebacks.

Have to admit that I'm kinda disappointed that I'm not of enough importance to the CIA to justify their attention...[facepalm]
Moon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts