Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I have only been on the forum a short while and have yet to find a better group of people on the net.. Thanks to the Trade-Buy-SELL forum I was able to get the MP3 Radio I have been wanting so bad.... So while I am no longer a real Nuu-Bee, I would just like to say that it is a pleasure being on this forum... You guys Rock!!

That being said, I have a huge amount of reference material at my disposal, ranging from owners manuals to the Full Ford Service manual, and I often like to respond to forums where people are in need of technical advice or just want to know something about their Foci...

In any case, I had a shorty C.A.I on my car with an RActive Heat shield Filter... However, since the cold weather is coming I like to take it off and go with the stock setup so road-salt and other things don't kick up into the engine bay and, I had a whole lot of cold-starting problems with the C.A.I on last winter... So the confusion comes in the fact that, after putting the stock box back in, and getting an OEM filter right from the parts counter at my dealership. My gas milage has gone up considerably... I'm talking from around 175-210 Miles a tank with the Cold air to 250-275 miles on a tank now with the stock box.. Also, it would be interesting to note that I have the ATX... When I mash on the gas in O/D with the C.A.I it would take off pretty well, now with the stock box I can get wheel spin on dry, clean pavement... The Dealership was stumped... They checked the computer with (their) scan-tool and said everything was perfect... They got the same result with the C.A.I on also... So they couldn't figure out how this was happening either... The Cone filter was brand new, so it's not like the thing was dirty and plugged up...

If anyone has any clue as to why this anomaly is occurring please let me know... I can not for the life of me figure this one out... And I usually love to help people with Tech problems... So this is even more embarrassing for me.....[?|]

*****Here is a rundown of what I got*****

01 Zetec 4-DR
4-Speed Auto Trans
Stock Exhaust
Stock Intake
F/C 65MM Throttle Body
Bosh +4 Plugs
Bosh Wireset
Running on Mobile 93 Octane (Only!)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Did your CAI come with a new mounting bracket for your MAF sensor? I've heard they can cause problems from others on the forum. You should be using the stock mount with the stock sensor.
(I don't want to start a debate but you don't need to use 93 octane...you should use 87 and if you want, use a bottle of 'HEAT' every 2-3 months to clean your injectors, fuel pump, etc.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My guess is it's temperture related. The MAF has the IAT sensor built into it and if you are sucking in hotter underhood air the ecu will take out ignition timing. This will hurt both throttle response and fuel milage. Just a few degrees of timing can make a huge difference, especially on a small engine like the zetec that is torque challenged as it is.

·
Registered
456 Posts
GonFishin said:
(I don't want to start a debate but you don't need to use 93 octane...you should use 87 and if you want, use a bottle of 'HEAT' every 2-3 months to clean your injectors, fuel pump, etc.)
Yeah... unless you get a chip.

For the record, my gas milage didn't change when I got my Volant CAI.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, let's start off with this.....

I have no chip... Its got the Stock Tuned ECU.... That's issue number 1

The CAI was a shorty type, the MAF was hose clamped to the intake and the filter was hose-clamped right off the end of the Sensor... That’s issue number two...

Third of all, why is 93 Bad?? If you look at the (REAL SPECS...) The one's from ford.... They call for a minimum of 91 octane... See the photo below (taken from the Shop Manual)... When I use 87 the car shakes and idles rough. The ECU will adjust itself for what ever you use anyway... So to be honest the Fuel makes no difference.... I asked the guy at Ford, even they said that all 93 will do is help the idle, make the car run a little cooler cause 93 burns cooler then 87, and it can give you a LITTLE better throttle response.. So this bizarre myth that 93 octane will do irreversible damage to a 4-cylinder is just that.... A MYTH!!!

Perhaps the MAF was the key though.... The way it was hooked on, and sucking in the Warm air from the engine bay may infact be causing the problem... So, the big question is this.. Is K&N a joke or should I throw one of those in and just leave the Stock Box in?? If K&N is a joke, are there good OEM style filters that give a little better flow??

·
Registered
84 Posts
we use the RON MON standard here in the usa...its different in the other countries I.E. europe...RON 91 is close to 87 octane...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Focus~Racer said:
Third of all, why is 93 Bad?? If you look at the (REAL SPECS...) The one's from ford.... They call for a minimum of 91 octane... See the photo below (taken from the Shop Manual)... When I use 87 the car shakes and idles rough. The ECU will adjust itself for what ever you use anyway... So to be honest the Fuel makes no difference.... I asked the guy at Ford, even they said that all 93 will do is help the idle, make the car run a little cooler cause 93 burns cooler then 87, and it can give you a LITTLE better throttle response.. So this bizarre myth that 93 octane will do irreversible damage to a 4-cylinder is just that.... A MYTH!!
I'm pretty sure the ECU won't compensate for a significant octane difference, that is what chips are for. I'm not sure about this, but I beleive the higher the octane, the more compression required for a complete burn. Your most likely sending a good ammount of the gas out the exhaust.

And it says in the owners manual that 87 is the recommended octane; why would they say that when it is really 91?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
oracle covered it for the most part. with the stock ecu you arent tuned to burn anything higher than 87. u probably get worse gas mileage on 91 because you arent getting a complete burn. since our cars have an egr, you will lose power too. the egr cycles unburned fuel back into the intake system so it can be burned and keep emissions down... you will have more unburned fuel since u cant burn 91 completely, and since u have more unburned fuel going into your intake system, leaves less room for air, which is less power and gas mileage....

second, the ractive has a metal tube and when running hot you will see less power and worse fuel economomy because the air you are bringing in has less oxygen in it because its less dense.

my advice, ditch the metal tube, throw the stocker on but leave the cone filter and save up for a good intake. you can even chop up your stock air box to make a little heat shield for it, pull off the resonator box, run some dryer hose to it, and leave the snorkel on. just like that you have urself a similar intake the the fc.

·
Registered
829 Posts
my question is how did you get the mp3 into a 2001?? the plugs arent the same. unless your talking the ranger mp3? im not sure about the plugs on that one. did you use the adaptor harness?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, first off let me apologize.... You guys are posting replies and I haven't been on in a few days cause of work so I have not been able to get back to anyone...

I just ordered the K&N OEM style filter for the stock intake box.. I think I may just keep this on there cause the Cops in my area DO NOT LIKE STREET RACERS!!! Not that they like them any where but they will pull you over in my town and nail you for as much as they can if you have an exhaust or anything that makes your car sound good. So, if anyone knows if the K&N is any good PLEASE let me know... I can still get the money back if it's not worth it, but if it is a better filter then the OEM Motorcraft one then cool....

Secondly, if I knock back to 87 octane but keep the Bosch +4 Plugs, is that cool??? I mean when I put them in back in August, the car ran a whole lot better... Smooth Idle, good pedal response, ect.. Then the next day I put the Shorty Cold Air Intake on and the problems began... Bad Idle, sluggish response, poor gas millage... But I liked the sound so I just kept it and went up to 93... I am curious to see if the car will run better with the stock box on if I go back to 87??? Also, I will have the K&N tuesday so I can put that in...

I am open to suggestions here, that's what a forum is all about... Everyone here knows what has worked for them....

To teddyrob:

The MP3 Conversion is NOT[:(!] !!! The ranger one, it came out of a 2003 Focus!

A very generous member of this forum hooked me up very large... I know the connectors are different, but it's just a matter of using a soldering iron and getting the right information... And the right connector.[:)~] The antenna is the same on both models, the harness is actually from a Volkswagen!! The thing is you only need the one small harness that goes into the radio which you can get from any road-shop.. Then get the other harness for the Focus (the one that plugs into the non MP3 Focus!!) and solder them together... You need to switch 2 wires cause of the positions but once that's done just plug the thing in and plug in the ant.. And Bingo, , , You have an MP3 Radio for the FOCUS! [^] (I am not trying to be a tool Teddyrob, but seriously I know the difference between the radio for the Ranger and the Radio for the Focus...) If you knew what I went through to get this thing, you would understand why I get a little touchy about this... I have tried and tried, !!

TRUST ME!!

I called Ford, they told me that they can't sell the thing separate from the cars, I need to contact the manufacturer directly...
I called Blaukpont, they said it was not their radio to sell. Call Ford parts....
I tried EBAY, and kept getting out-bid with less then a minute..
Finally, I posted on the WANTED forum, got a reply, the rest is history....

Seriously though, if you get one off of eBAY and you need help Email me!! I will get you all the information you need!! Oh, and PLEASE do not try cramming a ranger MP3 radio in the car! I have a 2002 Ranger with the MACH. MP3 System... That would not come close to fitting in the dash, plus it's flat and the focus has a curved radio. And the harness is different too...

Okay, well yet again I have written a freakin novel on the forum so to re-cap..

#1 Is K&N OEM style Flat Filter for the stock Air-box any-good???
#2 If I use 87 octane and the stock box, are the Bosh +4 plugs okay to keep in?
#3 The MP3 Focus born radio is not hard at all to put in. (Took me less then ½ hour)
#4 Sorry I haven't gotten back to any one..
#5 Sorry this is so dog-gone long!!

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get rid of the Bosch +4 plugs cause they're too hot. Try your intake without the +4s..if your problems go away, great. If not, go with the stock airbox and stock plugs. Also go to 87 octane, the only reason you'd need higher octane fuel is if you either got a chip, probably nitrous, or a turbo. I dunno if the K&N alone would do much more than the stock filter, but hell, if you get the cleaning kit with it you never have to buy a filter for your focus again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want, I got a K&N filter for the stock air box I am not using anymore. (Since I got the Volant now) It was only on my car for about 6k miles.

I can take a picture of it if you want to buy it off me. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
829 Posts
focus racer no offense taken[cool] sounds like you figured out a way to do it and i applaud you, but there is an adaptor available too i think for like 40 bucks that converts the plugs to the right ones too. either way as long as it works. [thumb] i have had my fair share of ford radio experience and just wanted to make sure people knew it wont just plug right in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so here is what I came up with..........

#1.. I put the C.A.I in and used 87 octane.... Kept the Bosh +4's..

Result.. Gas milage was garbage, car ran rough, loss of power at the pedal...

#2.. Took off the C.A.I and put the stock box on with the K&N filter, used 87 octane and kept the +4's..

Result.. That upped the gas milage, still rough idle, much better pedal response..

#3.. Used a bottle of SLICK 50 FULL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER, talked to the Ford Dealership about the Plugs, and the problems I have been having,... Told them about the fuel cleaner, the 87 and the 93, ect..

Result.. They checked the computer and re-flashed the ECU for me... Told me that the +4's are okay to use in the car, as long as they are gapped right and the proper heat range they will function just fine in the Zetec motor.. Final result??? Idles well now, plenty of go power when you hit the gas, great milage.. However....

[pray] I am not above admitting when I make a mistake.... The reason they re-flashed the ECU was because the timing and Idle trim control that are set by the ECU were all sorts of screwed because I used 93 in the car... The service Tech said it was a major NO-NO using 93 in a focus!! So, I was incorrect in my assumption that the car needed a higher octane..[idea]

Thanks for your help guys!! I dropped the ball on this one, but you still helped me out!! Many thanks!!

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even if you use 93 and the pcm learns based on that it should still be able to relearn once you go back to 87. In the future, just disconnect the battery if you can't wait for the pcm to relearn, but it should only take a day or so to relearn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts