Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know...ANOTHER clutch topic.

But I've read the whole stickied topic and I just want to make sure I've got it all correct before I plunk down the cash and fix my slipping clutch, and I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to cars so I'm seeking all the help/reassurance I can get...

Feel free to explain things to me as if I'm a five year old...

Okay, clutch has been slipping for quite a little while now, and I've finally freed up the cash to do something about it. Car is stock, and probably going to be stock unless I fall into a pool of money. As such, I'm thinking the LUK kit is probably my best bet, and was looking to pick it up from Focus Sport.

Now, some questions, some less intelligent than others:

1) I bought the car used in January of '06. This LUK kit is newer than that, right? And completely replaces all components of the old kit? In other words, there's no way that I don't have to replace the whole thing, even if my car had the TSB clutch repair done prior to my buying it?

2) Err, is LUK pronounced like luck or luke?

3) I've seen other clutch kits (for other cars) that mention that they include the bolts...this one doesn't. Will I need to source the bolts as well, or are they reusable, or what?

4) The kit on Focus Sport is exactly what I'd get if I took the car to the Ford dealer and had them get the parts, right?

5) Just to satisfy my curiosity before I call the place I'm hoping to get the repairs done, what should a job like this run me, ballpark? The guy is a very close friend of one of my close friends, so I'm not anticipating getting ripped off, but I'd like to have some sort of frame of reference as to what others have paid so I can judge his offer a bit better. Ideally, I'd love to keep total costs under 1200, but I have no idea if 600 for labor is at all realistic.

6) Anything funny about the SVT that I might need to let the guy know prior to starting the job? I'm assuming at this point that he probably hasn't seen a lot of these cars in the past.

Okay, I think that covers it...feel free to have me taken outside and shot for posting another one of these topics, but like I said, my ignorance makes me paranoid.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
labor cost ... sounds about right. I payed 1150 to have everything replaced clutch wise when mine went out. But depending on who you go with I have seen clutch replacements up to 1400.

I hear it is pronounced a "LUKE".

your mechanic should be fine with the SVT ... if he questions ... you should question him as your mechanic.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
wow... that's a lot... i was quoted around 350-400 for labor.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Anything over 1000 is a lot of money to spend on a clutch replacing--but they are getting more expensive as cars get more advanced. I had my clutch done on my Accord recently to the tune of $1600, so don't feel too bad!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
600+ for labor is normal, i had mine replaced with the LUK kit in June and it cost me $1400 parts and labor, its grabby and is holding up fine.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
brutal. I had Ford take care of my clutch free of charge under the TSB. Luckily I brought it in before it had 36K on the clock...that really helped.

·
Registered
191 Posts
take the money u would spend in labor and buy uprgrades. do it ur self. its not to bad and then u would have extra stuff for the svt

·
Registered
809 Posts
6 hours for a pro to do it, and its gonna be easy for someone who claims little knowlege of the repair?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm sure I can just rock her up on one side and yank it all out and cram all the new goodies in. ;) How hard can it be?

Okay, one last "oh-man-I'm-this-is-a-lot-of-money" check before I order the kit.

If I'm taking the car to the guy as soon as I get all the parts, is there anything (obvious or otherwise) that I need to get that IS NOT part of the clutch kit shown at the bottom of this page:

http://focussport.com/clutch.htm

Seriously, anything at all. Don't assume "well, he must know that he needs a *blahblahblah* so I won't mention that" because odds are I DON'T know.

I'm seriously car-stupid. I'm learning what I can here, and I know more than I did when I got the car, but you'd be shocked by some of the things I don't know, I'm sure.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
You will need new tranny fluid. I upgraded to Royal Purple Synchromax since I've already been using their oil too.

edit:
That link doesn't work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You will need new tranny fluid. I upgraded to Royal Purple Synchromax since I've already been using their oil too.

edit:
That link doesn't work.
Huh...it sure doesn't.

Well, I purchased the parts already, so I guess the link isn't relevant now.

How much tranny fluid? And is RP Synchromax readily available at a chain (Wal Mart/Advance Auto/etc.)?

EDIT: And thanks for your reply! This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Tranny fluid never even crossed my mind.

Forum searching for answers to my own questions now (go figure...I ask the question and THEN go looking for the answer).

Seems that RP Synchromax is all I need to know? No weights/styles/whatever.

And 2.1 qts I think I saw in another thread?

It's just RP Synchro tranny fluid? Err (*stupid questions*), do they differentiate between auto/manual? It isn't weighted like oil is it?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
rp synchromax can be bought at pep boys, and I used three bottles of it.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
I only used 2 bottles Josh! un-oh....

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
^ haha nothings happened so far!

and oo well I got a used trans on the way.

ready for another swap lee?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts