Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a '00 Ford Focus SE. My gas mileage is around 19-20 MPG, with like 70% highway driving. I've had my spark plugs and air filter changed out twice. The tire pressure is correct. I've had the car hooked up to a computer, and it shows nothing is wrong with the engine or transmission (O2 sensors working properly, cylinder isn't misfiring).

I honestly don't know what's wrong with my car. The 20 mpg doesn't really bother me, it's the fact that the car is getting that much (and the car basically is powerless). It's getting horrible gas mileage for absolutely no reason.

Could it be my driving? I do give it a bit of gas once in a while, but I don't see how it can drop the gas mileage by 10 or so.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again because of this car.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again because of this car.
That's kind of an out there thing to say...

I understand your frustration because the mileage they told me I would be getting was DEFINITELY not what I was getting. It wasn't until I added my cold air intake that I got around 30-32mpg on the freeway. Lots of people have issues with the mileage on these cars from reading through these threads, and nobody seems to be able to figure it out.[???:)]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It sounds like you are running on 3 cylinders or something. Its so hard to tell without driving it. Yeah, 20 is bad milage, I usually get 28-32. No CEL? Hmmm, see if somebody can sniff the exhaust with a meter and see if it is really rich, at least then you will know it is fuel coming down the exhaust. That is so odd.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Don't blame the problem cause it's a ford, that's just ignorance, there is obviously something wrong that needs fixed. I get nearly 30mpg highway with my supercharger so 20 is wayyy to low.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
MAF sensor dirty maybe? Is it possible for the heated O2 sensor to fail without throwing a code? A dirty MAF or a failing O2 sensor should throw your AFR way out of whack, which could cause that mileage... but I'm not mechanic. Anybody else?

·
Registered
35 Posts
O2 sensor sometimes don't trip CEL lights. They may still work, but not nearly as accurately and give you a bad a/f ratio. Fuel filters are a biggie also, as well as a dirty maf.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 00 ZX3 ( daily driver ) and a 03 ZX3 ( summer only ) and I drive 500KM per week for around $45.00 to $55.00 CDN... Looks like colder it is outside more gaz consumtion we get...[dunno]

oh I forgot... my car idle 20 minutes in the morning before I drive off and same thing in the evening .... [slap]

Nice and warm when I get in.... [woot]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Check your injectors? where do you buy your gas,could be the winter formula. also tires, are they winter. flatlands, mountains...auto ...stick...all kinds of variants.

OH, yes it could be your driving style...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, do you frequently get the RPM above 3,000?

If you want good mileage any acceleration which results in the automatic going above 3,000 RPM is a sign your driving style is not consistent with getting good mileage.

And, of course, if you are talking about MPG during the Winter, it is quite typical for mileage to drop 10-20% in the winter, depending upon the temperature and the typical length of your trips/driving segments. Short trips of less than five miles or so, combine with temperatures in the single digits will play havoc with MPG.

P.S. As for highway driving, the stock Focus does not have an excess of power. As a result, that last 10-15 MPH will also cut your MPG quite a bit, e.g., if your driving the highway at 75-80 MPH, vs. 55-60 MPH, your MPG will be significantly lower. Note that I am not criticizing driving at 75 MPH or using the engine above 3,000 RPM when accelerating, merely noting that the cost of driving in that manner is lower MPG.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Change fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Clean fuel injectors. If you follow the maintenance schedule and you shouldn’t have this problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Change fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Clean fuel injectors. If you follow the maintenance schedule and you shouldn’t have this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 03 zts I drive about 70 75 mph 29 miles one way to work and I only get 24 to 30 mpg. Fuel filter maybe change spark plug wires. Good luck

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,797 Posts
Yes, good point, I do use alot more fuel driving in the winter.
yeah, I got 18.XX miles a gallon last fillup. It hasn't gotten much out of the teens for the most part in a month, I drive aggressively, but have had situations where I let it idle way more than i would normally. I partly blame the excessive idleing and aggressive driving habits. In the summer, I drive fairly aggressively and always averages close to 24 mpg.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
hey guys I got a question. How do I reset the trip meter to "0" so I can measure what my mpg is. Or is there another way to do it, i dont know never tried it and want to know how much I can go on a full tank. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
hey guys I got a question. How do I reset the trip meter to "0" so I can measure what my mpg is. Or is there another way to do it, i dont know never tried it and want to know how much I can go on a full tank. Thanks.
where it shows how many miles are on your car, right under it there should be a seperate set of numbers///and under that there should be a little stick button...push that to reset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had the car since last February and the gas mileage has always been in the 19's-20's range. It's really starting to piss me off considering I had it checked out by two mechanics and they find nothing wrong with the car. Had spark plugs, air filter, and the fuel filter replaced. I don't think I'm going to blow any more money on relacing anything else in the car, as I see it's not worth doing so.

I also have a few other problems with the car. In cold weather, my ignition locks up. That tends to me make mad. I've never heard of an ignition (especially in a 2000 model car) locking up because of cold weather.

Another thing is that when I'm driving, there's a sound that comes out from the bottom left side of the car. Again, I had the car checked out for that and nothing is wrong. The shocks are in good condition.

Did I also mention the various mechanical things that have broked down in the last 2 months or so? The brakes started leaking break fluid. The water pump also broke a week afterwards. And then the car started leaking transmission fluid. After that, I had to get the gasket replaced. Yay at spending $500+ in repairs for a horrible car.

I think it's time I get rid of this car. It's causing me nothing but problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, considering I live in Texas, the same tires all year round. I see no point to have winter tires since it almost never snows here in Texas, and if it does, it's like an inch or less.

I try to keep my acceleration as smooth as possible (as in, not giving it a lot of gas, unless I'm trying to pass someone on the highway or something). I don't know what the RPMs reach, since my car doesn't have a tachometer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
guess you are lucky you are not up here north, lol..
with -20F to -30F+ i get about 15-16mpg... lots of idling though.. now with the cai i get like 18 (happy with that for now)
just changed the fuel filter the other day, got new plugs and waiting for new wires...

oh and as for ignition locking up... never happened to me even in the worst cold.....

so far i had few minor probs with the tranny and squeeling brakes... nothing else really.. with all the mechanical probs u mentioned above, sounds to me like u got a lemon or something.. and lemons u can find everywhere, no matter who makes the car..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts