Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have the hard plastic cover that goes behind/under the bumper (not to be confused with the felt under-engine cover) off from replacing my fog lights.

I have an AEM CAI, and it seems to like having the cover off so I'm considering permanently keeping it off. It'll probably have some small effect on my fuel economy but I'm not too worried about that. What I'm worried about is potential water damage. I can get a prefilter for the AEM to cover that, but are there other parts down there that are susceptible to water damage? Or is everything able to deal with water exposure?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Currently I have the hard plastic cover that goes behind/under the bumper (not to be confused with the felt under-engine cover) off from replacing my fog lights.

I have an AEM CAI, and it seems to like having the cover off so I'm considering permanently keeping it off. It'll probably have some small effect on my fuel economy but I'm not too worried about that. What I'm worried about is potential water damage. I can get a prefilter for the AEM to cover that, but are there other parts down there that are susceptible to water damage? Or is everything able to deal with water exposure?
You'll be the guinea pig... try it!!! :)

Honestly I don't see any problem beside stuff getting more inside the engine bay.

Don't floor it when aquaplaning and that's it

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I'm mainly worried about any electronics/wiring such as my fogs and LED DRLs. I'll take another look to make sure everything is sealed up tight. And maybe never drive it on rainy days [thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's not really to deal with water as much as other road debris, such as rocks, sand, etc. I've also heard people say it helps with MPG's and speed, but usually that takes an entirely flat bottom throughout the car, not just on the front. You can keep it off, just drive carefully.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd install it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
It's an aero panel. Therefor it will harm your aerodynamics and fuel mileage. Also you replaced your fogs the hard way. The easy way is to remove your headlights then reach down and remove the fog bulbs. You're welcome.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Also you replaced your fogs the hard way. The easy way is to remove your headlights then reach down and remove the fog bulbs. You're welcome.
Future Nick says thank you.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
You can drive with it off no problem.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
You can drive with it off no problem.
This^^^ Mine didnt't even have one. I'm sure it's a pain for oil changes too. I love that mine didn't have one, because it makes things so much easier.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an aero panel. Therefor it will harm your aerodynamics and fuel mileage. Also you replaced your fogs the hard way. The easy way is to remove your headlights then reach down and remove the fog bulbs. You're welcome.
I replaced my entire fog light units with Morimoto XBs, so I don't think that they would have fit through the top. Originally that's what I was thinking, but after reading how others installed it, I went through the bottom.

This^^^ Mine didnt't even have one. I'm sure it's a pain for oil changes too. I love that mine didn't have one, because it makes things so much easier.
I still have the felt under-engine cover on, just took the one in front of that cover off.

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
I drove my 12 for almost a year with out it on the car. No issues at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts