Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at my front driver side, because i cannot aligment it properly. I notice that the strut is lower than the passanger side. i look around and see that the driver strut is bent at the strut hook that locks in place to the spindle nut. OK im pissed and took off the strut assembly and tried to straight'n the damn hook. but i cant and im wondering if i even need the damn thing to work with the assembly anyway any one any thoughts on this. (that way ill just knock off the passanger side to have the damn things even again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya this is, i just bent that thing, this is a agx adjustable strut with h&r sport springs, and really dont want to by a new one. got some better advise?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The strut is made of tempered steel. Trying to bend it back into place will either break it, crack it, or cause metal fatigue wherein it will only bend again (or break) in the same location. Sorry but your only alternative is to replace it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'd think real carefully about replacing the strut, I wouldn't really want to screw around with my front suspension, especially the way I drive. Steel is weakest in bending, and pushing on something bent is the same as bending. That strut supports 30% of the car's weight at a stand still, depending on damping strength that will increase a whole lot in compression....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
SVT Robzor said:
I'd think real carefully about replacing the strut, I wouldn't really want to screw around with my front suspension, especially the way I drive. Steel is weakest in bending, and pushing on something bent is the same as bending. That strut supports 30% of the car's weight at a stand still, depending on damping strength that will increase a whole lot in compression....

Did you mean "repairing" versus "replacing" in your intro sentence. Replacing the strut is the only way to go in this situation. By the way... a strut or shock does not support any car weight. That's the job of the spring. The shock controls (dampens) the ocillations of the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts