Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought some fofo parts that will make my car more of beast then what it is already is lol jk but seriously im putting a different tranny in it that has the following:

limited slip dif.
8.8# flywheel
dual friction clutch kit

and on the motor im putting:

5 bolt style cam gears
svt header with orp...maybe a resonator as well idk yet
im also upgrading the brakes from stock zx3 to the svt brake kit with 13" fronts and 11" rears hahaha

for my question though...would the limited slip be safe for winter time cause the guy i bought it off of always had his car on jack stands all winter never drove it so he never had any experience with winter driving with the limited slip thanks in advance

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would think it'd help greatly ... wish I had one.
But you'll still have to be easy on the throttle taking off, with the LW FW and the exhaust it'll want to rev real fast, meaning wheel spin's gonna be a bitch in the snow.

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im thinking that it would be fun as hell...hahaha...im just going to do it anyways...im not really scared of anything when it comes to stupid shit like that lol....ill have upgraded brakes anyways so itll help but still could be dangerous...

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i recently bought some fofo parts that will make my car more of beast then what it is already is lol jk but seriously im putting a different tranny in it that has the following:

limited slip dif.
8.8# flywheel
dual friction clutch kit

5 bolt style cam gears
im also upgrading the brakes from stock zx3 to the svt brake kit with 13" fronts and 11" rears hahaha

for my question though...would the limited slip be safe for winter time cause the guy i bought it off of always had his car on jack stands all winter never drove it so he never had any experience with winter driving with the limited slip thanks in advance

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so...

limited slip dif.
8.8# flywheel
dual friction clutch kit

5 bolt style cam gears

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
No. It will only help. All it does is deliver power to both front wheels.

My friend has a lightweight flywheel and it doesnt spin the tires easier, it actually bogs from having less mass. So you're really not gonna have much of a problem in that aspect. Also, bigger brakes don't matter in the snow. Tires are the most important thing.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
The SVT didn't come with 13" fronts.

They're 300mm up front (11.8") and 278mm rear (10.9")

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
You need some NOS stickers to make it go fast buddy lol

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well either way he has 13" fronts or thats what they look like cause there huge lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
limited slip

I dont see a problem with the limiited slip in the winter. that diff is designed to direct the power to both wheels when needed. thats its job! later.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah buddy limited slip i think would be better than a open diff for winter and plus one to the snow tires

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
As previously stated, tires are going to be the biggest factor in snow. Your best bet is to get a set of winter wheels with a good set of tires on them that are rated for snow. Having the differential means that you will have both front wheels grabbing for traction which is much better than doing the peg-leg spin with one wheel. And as for the bigger brakes? That mostly helps you in drier weather.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You'll have better traction in the winter depending on the LSD. What did you get?

You'll do no worse than stock.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The SVTf has LS and I hear no complaints.

My RWD Ranger has LS and I have no problems in the snow in 2wd if that helps... The LS helps it rotate better when playing but that's a different story....

MY old Focus wagon was a tank in the snow with studless snow tires. I can't imagine if it had 2 wheels pulling. I tried to get it stuck in snow banks while parallel parking and I always got out.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
In a situation with no traction the LSD will not be able to engage and you will still have one wheel drive.
Only with an ATB diff (Torsen). A clutch-type LSD will always drive both wheels. A viscous will spin one until the fluid heats up and then the 2nd will grab.

Also, you can easily LFB to load both front wheels and get the both to grab. Worked fine for me with the open diff in many snowy situations where I couldn't get going.

The SVTf has LS and I hear no complaints.
What diff are you running? All USDM Focus have an open diff.

X2 on the snow tires. All the fancy diffs/gearing/etc aren't going to help if you can't get that power to the ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts