Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get a CAI for my 2006 ZX4 and after I plan to upgrade the exhaust system. Mostlikely with FocusSport. My only concern is I live in a green state, MA, and the vehicle is an everyday driver, so it must pass inspections. My engine is the D20E - 2.0L Duratec PZEV. If I put on the FocusSport exhaust system would I run into issues with this not being legal in MA?
 

·
The Godfather
Joined
·
4,405 Posts
Depending on the state, sometimes even changing the exhaust note at all is illegal. very rarely enforced though (listen to mine sometime).

As long as you do not take your stock cat out, you should be fine.
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
The FS exhaust will be fine for you, that's what I got and love it.

It does not remove any cats all it does is attach to the flex pipe and goes back. It removes one resonator, and the first and second mufflers. The FS exhaust has one resonator and one muffler, you should pass emissions fine.

If you REALY want to make sure you'll pass make sure to buy a C.A.R.B. approved intake like AEM.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
focusin said:
The FS exhaust will be fine for you, that's what I got and love it.

It does not remove any cats all it does is attach to the flex pipe and goes back. It removes one resonator, and the first and second mufflers. The FS exhaust has one resonator and one muffler, you should pass emissions fine.

If you REALY want to make sure you'll pass make sure to buy a C.A.R.B. approved intake like AEM.
...but the 2nd cat attaches to the flex pipe also. In other words, it removed the 2nd cat and will probably not pass inspection in MA. The FS exhaust could be modified by a shop and welded to the 2nd cat, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm this is starting to sound expensive...
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
SD_Focus said:
...but the 2nd cat attaches to the flex pipe also. In other words, it removed the 2nd cat and will probably not pass inspection in MA. The FS exhaust could be modified by a shop and welded to the 2nd cat, however.
I was told by my friend who works as the head service tech at a local ford dealer, the short round part right after the flex pipe is a resonator not a cat. There is one cat before the flex pipe and one inside the header, when I get home I will take a flashlight and look into the stock exhaust in my garage just to be positive.
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
bostonshawn77 said:
hmm this is starting to sound expensive...
Well man modding isn't cheap but it is rewarding.

I payed 380.00 shipped for my FS non stealth aluminized steel exhaust, well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, that's not that expensive, I was figuring like 500+ for just this alone...
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
I think the cosworth exhaust are around 600.00. Which is retarded in my opinion, I have never heard one of them but I cant say that its worth 600.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
I am 100% sure there is a cat inside the header and one after the flexpipe. The flexpipe attaches to the header/manicat. I removed the big cylinder thing after the flexpipe when I did my exhaust and looked inside of it. it is no resonator [:)] So be careful not to remove that thing!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
focusin said:
I was told by my friend who works as the head service tech at a local ford dealer, the short round part right after the flex pipe is a resonator not a cat. There is one cat before the flex pipe and one inside the header, when I get home I will take a flashlight and look into the stock exhaust in my garage just to be positive.
On a non-PZEV D20 there are TWO Cats, one before and one after the flex-pipe. Been there, removed that and later reinstalled it to make it legal.

D20E PZEV may be different...
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
I have the non PZEV so I dont know, I DO know we dont have Alabama emmisions so its staying as is.
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
Well as most know already I was wrong, I finally remembered to look into the exhaust and sure enough there is the honeycomb shapes in there.

So I take back my previous statements, the FS exhaust DOES remove a cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
just for the record, i was thinking about getting the FS ceramic coated stealth exhaust, which was about 500 bills shipped. then i decided to get the MBRP instead, and i am very happy will it and i have 200 bucks left over to put towards an SCT xcal2.

I cant compare the 2 side by side but i dont know if the FS one would have made me $200 happier. Just some food for thought
 

·
FF Cleaning Squad
Joined
·
11,959 Posts
I have not heard the MBRP in person but from when they had the sound clip on their site it sounded raspy and a little too loud for me. The FS is pretty quiet and realy deep, I was driving through a neighborhood last night (about 3am) and I felt confident that I was not disturbing anyone and I even have the non stealth version.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top