Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry guys/gals, i know this topic has been beat to death forever now..but I need some fresh opinions.

I have a 2003 ATX SE Sedan, with no engine mods other than a 2.25 MBRP catback.

I'm modding my car as money allows, in the works now is my Suspension (already have SVT dampers), waiting on Progress springs for the install..

Now.....as far as engine modding is concerned, i'm considering a 65mm T/B, Volant Intake, and maybe a street header... my question is, other than those things... are there any upgrades for the ATX that make real difference? Im not familiar with things like ORP, UDP, Flexpipe, etc and if they would even have a considerable difference in the ATX, hence my questions.

Please keep in mind this a daily driver, and i do not really race, so this would be just to make it more fun, maybe get some 1/4 times just for laughs..lol

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Mario---- I believe the best thing you can do is just donate your cash to my 01 focus.[rolleyes]
But you will get a better feel with the UDP and a little better throttle response with a 65mm thrtl body. The gains from the thrtl body is about 1 horse but the response is amazing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I too would suggest a UDP. Even after all the modification I have on my motor I could still feel the difference with the UDP. It's especially noticable with the AC on. The car remains responsive. It sounds like you're on the right track though. An intake and header are real good power adders.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
an sct tune, to tighten up those shift points among other fun stuff. the TB will definately be more responsive, lots of fun there.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
SCT tuner to stiffen up the shifts and tune your engine more, UDP, Intake, Flex and an OBX header&hi flow cat might do you well. If you wanted more power, try a long tube header.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i've got pretty much all the bolt ons on my ATX and i'll have to say that the best ones have been (in this order) Tune, UDP, TB. they all really wake the car up and make it a lot more responsive and more fun to drive. the tune really helps out on the shifts as well, making them a lot quicker and firmer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
focuson03 said:
i've got pretty much all the bolt ons on my ATX and i'll have to say that the best ones have been (in this order) Tune, UDP, TB. they all really wake the car up and make it a lot more responsive and more fun to drive. the tune really helps out on the shifts as well, making them a lot quicker and firmer.
ok, out comes the newbie in me.......u say tune first, and i know tunes are awesome..BUT...arent tunes designed to work specifically with the mods u have, to maximize output from your setup? or do i have that all wrong?

like if i got a tune with just my exhaust, it would pep it up and tighten shifts....., THEN if i were to get an intake, UDP, etc... wouldn't it have to be adjusted to work with the additional mods?

Thank for all the help!!
Mario

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
poisonivory said:
ok, out comes the newbie in me.......u say tune first, and i know tunes are awesome..BUT...arent tunes designed to work specifically with the mods u have, to maximize output from your setup? or do i have that all wrong?

like if i got a tune with just my exhaust, it would pep it up and tighten shifts....., THEN if i were to get an intake, UDP, etc... wouldn't it have to be adjusted to work with the additional mods?

Thank for all the help!!
Mario

For an ATX the tune is the best possible thing for you. The mods yoiu listed will not require a retune (you can get on a dyno, and might be able to squeak out 1 or 2 more hp, but thats it). If you plan on getting a header, just get the 2nd 02 disabled, and maybe teh EGR disabled (EGR is a grey area...some people ,like it, some dont)

Get an Xcal2 with a tune, the ATX really wakes up after that. Also, save a couple of bucks, and just port your stock TB for now.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ porting the stock TB, is this a DYI job or a professional job? Because after my suspsensions gets done in the next week or so.. intake is the next step, so if im just going to port the T/B it would be done then as well..

Good lookin out on that one, cuz daddy dearest is on a budget..loll

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I've heard about porting the stock throttlebody.. a friend has done it with a dremel. But... I wouldn't want to risk lil pieces of plastic get stuck in plaxes they shouldnt.

I have the MBRP, just like you. I also have the Volant, and the FR UDP. Next up is the TB for me, then a tune. I thinhk you are on the right track.

And yes, the tune will GREATLY help the driveability of our ATX's....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow Matt i never even knew u were an ATX. shows ya how much i pay attention..haha

side note: is 2003 SE the only year ATX that came without a tach!!! lol seems like even the Auto's i see have the tach in the cluster...except mine.

ok so from the sound of it... ill proceed (in order) with: tune, intake, UDP, then TB...then maybe down the line get a header. my suspension should be installed within two weeks or so... then ill leave the stock wheels/tires on over the winter...so hopefully by next summer, ill be on track.

thanks for all the input people!!! now if anyone wants to donate to the cause...hit me up :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
The SVT header kit with the high flow cat, flexpipe, and the like adds good power. Then get your tune and the fofo will have on a bad day some balls. The Xcal2 helps out the tranny really well, the passenger often gets their head banged into the head rest. Plus the gas mileage increase you get with the tune is great. Two weeks ago I went to Ocean City, NJ from Horsham and got 105 miles out of my first quarter tank of gas, ended up getting 180 miles out of a little over a third of a tank.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ NICE!! i see ur from Horsham, thats like 15-20 min from.. im in Somerton section of Northeast Philly, off County Line rd and Bustleton Avenue.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes sir, I was in your area just last week because my girlfriend had to get sized for her bride's maid dress at David's bridal on Bustleton. May I also suggest in the mod department, suspension, suspension, and suspension.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OandAWOW said:
Yes sir, I was in your area just last week because my girlfriend had to get sized for her bride's maid dress at David's bridal on Bustleton. May I also suggest in the mod department, suspension, suspension, and suspension.
if you read my initial post, suspension is happening currently..i already have SVT shocks/struts sitting in my house,waiting on my progress springs to do the install... i really need to update my gallery those pics are like 2 years old. lol

BTW, davids Bridal on Bustleton is all the way down by RT 1? correct? I live on county line..which is only like 15 min from Horsham.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah David's is around there. I have a pretty good idea of where you are on county line.

Are you considering a sway bar upgrade and/or bushings to complete the suspension? Of course a nice set of sticky tires helps too...

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Yeah. I have an ATX.. Which works out GREAT for me, because I'm more of a 'show' kinda guy....

·
Registered
535 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
I wouldn't want to risk lil pieces of plastic get stuck in plaxes they shouldnt.
It's not the plastic that is really harmful, it is the sand paper grit. Really easy, just stuff an oily rag and use a shop vac to suck all the crap up.

-onto the question-

A solid SCT tune does wonders for the ATX. There are a few important parameters, among others:

* Disable 2nd O2 sensor, for the header in your future.
* Firm up all shifts (more on the 1-2 shift, les as you go to the others)
* More aggressive shifting schedule

Then setup the rest to your liking.

* UDP's and TB really do liven the engine up (65mm is better, but a ported stocker is good too)
* Solid Dogbone (tranny) mount help firm the transmission shifts as well, which puts more power to the ground
* headers also make a big diff, in the top of the power band.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm in the same boat as everyone else with an ATX...trying to squeeze as much power out of it as possible (without breaking the bank). So far I have a Borla catback, FR wires (oooh....), custom/K&N intake, and ported throttle body and I have an SVT header/flex/ORP that will be getting installed shortly.

Even with these few mods, I can guarantee you that the car is 100% more fun to drive. The ported TB definately made the biggest difference as far as driving goes. Even though it doesn't really make more power, the improved throttle response is amazing.

Porting the TB is relatively simple. just follow the instructions in the how to and you will be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
UDP, TB, the SVT header and high flow cat, maybe even an engine mount. i personally would prefer the 65mm tb to the ported, just be sure you get the exact bracket and year for your car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts