Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I bought my Focus with the MFT and all that but I didn't know until after I purchased that the maps were extra. I guess I should've done a little more studying on that.

Question is, can I get this installed at the dealership? Is it still going to cost the $750 or whatever it is if I do?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't completely give up. From what I understand the hardware needed is all present. Although Ford isn't currently offering the nav upgrade as a dealer installed option, there is nothing that says they couldn't in the future. In fact at the cost of almost $1k for essentially a software upgrade they would be crazy not to at some point.

I'm sure their current Focus, no pun intended, is on fixing the current MFT software issues. Once that is completed perhaps they will take up the nav upgrade as their next project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
nav

Even though you don't have the maps visible, you still get turn by turn directions through My Sync. Works just fine for me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think this is only available in the states.

I remember reading about it, but i also remember reading its not an option for Canadians which is so stupid.

·
Registered
444 Posts
These are right off the Syncmyride website:

"Traffic, Directions and Information may be unavailable if your vehicle was released before 2009, if your vehicle was purchased outside the United States or your vehicle is equipped with a navigation system."

"911 Assist is available in the United States and Canada only, Vehicle Health Report is available in the United States only."

Wow Canada got a really sweet deal with these features for Sync.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First you have to register your car on syncmyride.com
Then just connect through your phone by bluetooth.
Yeah, I was messing around with that. Seems like it hardly ever wants to find my location and has a terrible time looking for my destination though and is more of a pain than anything.

Honestly I'm more than happy with the Google Maps on my phone and I would rather use that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In general, the normal MyFord SYNC stuff works decently when I have cell phone coverage. The directions are transferred over the normal bluetooth audio system on a regular "voice" call, so you don't need to have a data tethering plan for your cell phone for it to work.

Now, when it comes to navigation, if you have MyFord Touch, you have to PAY for the Navigation option, which is really just a normal SD card with the software and maps on it, and it is probably keyed into the MyFord Touch system with some anti-piracy stuff(software is probably coded with your VIN number in some file on the SD card). In theory, that same software SHOULD have an option to work with the normal MyFord stuff if it were put on a USB flash drive if the interface were designed to use the normal up/down/left/right/ok to use an on-screen keyboard type of thing when voice does not properly accept a town name.

Since I have a SEL without the MyFord Touch, I don't have the SD card reader...still, it WOULD be nice to have the on-screen maps with current location, even if it doesn't have turn-by-turn directions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts