Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently changed the piston rings on ZTEC engine. I have put the engine back together. As I was putting oil in engine I noticed the oil was not draining into the oil pan. How would I fix this problem? [???:)]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Why would the oil not flow down thru the motor to the pan?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Having put the engine back together yourself you are in a much better position to figure that out than us..................

·
Registered
897 Posts
Did you put the head gasket on upside down?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
I do not think I put the head gasket upside down.
If you have to think about it, it means you don't know for certain that it might be the issue. That's why you check to make sure that it isn't the problem so you can eliminate that as one of the possibilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the information this gives me some where to start. I dread taking everything apart but I have do not have a choice. This has turned into a big project. I thought the oil drain back holes were clogged.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
New head bolts and gasket for starters. Why one double checks that kind of stuff before tightening down.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Unfortunately it's expensive to need to go back in after assembly.

Yes, it hasn't even run yet, but those are one time use parts - won't work right reused.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
^^^ Unfortunately it's expensive to need to go back in after assembly.

Yes, it hasn't even run yet, but those are one time use parts - won't work right reused.
Dont head bolts work up to 3 times (assuming you measure the stretch of the bolt?)

You should be able to pull the valve cover and look down the large oil drains that drain right down from the head through the bock to the pan. if the oil galleys a blocked the head should fill up after 1qt... there is not much volume in the head.

But if the head gasket is on wrong then you could have oil now in the coolant also.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^ best suggestion yet to check on the problem, nice to confirm what's going on before tearing it down again.

Here's a good short reference on not reusing TTY bolts for a head:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LXXuCjzpfBEbobQ&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cWc&cad=rja

If there is a spec. for max stretch allowed to determine if they can be reused, I haven't heard of it yet.

I've seen other references for reusing some TTY bolts by reducing the torque applied on a second use (front bolts for the lower control arms) but not for head bolts yet.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
for the TTY I think I was remembering the TTY bolts that are used on the rods/crank that came with my Eagle Rods. they have a chart specifically for tracking the stretch and provides a measurement at which they can not be used. I was figuring that the head bolts would likely follow the same procedure.

Your link provides very good information on the TTY for the head.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nice rods & hdwe., failure there would be more catastrophic. Good to hear they gave a spec..

Saw a history piece mentioning rod bolts as the first to get torque specs., for WWI aircraft engines after many failures. Some mechanic's engines seldom broke, others broke often - and getting rod bolt torque consistent was the answer.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
You commonly measure rod bolt stretch on non-TTY rod bolts but that is not the same thing. TTY only if the last tighten is in ANGLE only and not a torque number.

Ford gave spec on some early TTY bolts in the '80s but then gave up as too unreliable. Better to make the extra money selling more one time use parts and damn the customer.

TTY bolts for rods are sheer idiocy, how on earth can you refinish big ends say without torquing them up to full torque if simply doing that once stretches the bolt to be unuseable?
Meaning technically can't even change the rod bolts in stock rod, doing so you must pull them in place fully to take a 'set' by torquing and then they are stretched again. Meaning rods cannot be reused either if the bolts are TTY. You do NOT want a bolt for a rod cap that technically has started to twist in two by merely tightening it. Nor one with a smaller than normal size, which TTY commonly are to enhance the effect. STUPID idea...............SURELY Eagle rods do not use TTY bolts.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Thank you for that, I had a sneaking suspicion they weren't. Nobody worth a ratsazz would do that. Except of course good ol' you know who...................

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Eagle Rod Bolts are NOT TTY

Tom
Eagle provided a chart (I have the sheets and paperwork provided) that have measurements that are required to be taken on the bolts using a set of calipers. it has a sheet provided to log the recorded lengths after each removal and provides a threshold that tells you when the bolt is not longer good. Is this not a TTY bolt?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts