Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read in owners manual for the ST that 5w30 is recommendes but 0w30 is also ok. Is the 0w30 mainly just for cold climate use, or is there any benefit in warmer climate also? Just curious of personal experiences

w/ my magic bag
Ive read in owners manual for the ST that 5w30 is recommendes but 0w30 is also ok. Is the 0w30 mainly just for cold climate use, or is there any benefit in warmer climate also? Just curious of personal experiences
For colder weather....I wouldn't run a 0 weight oil thou. Use a quality synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 5w-30.

Registered
ANy start from ambient the zero weight will run a bit freer until the engine warms up. Then the oil is the normal 30 wt

You might see a very tiny improvement in mpg if you use the 0-30.
But I doubt you would notice it in the Summer.

I used Mobil One 0W30 once. I did not like the 'feel' right after the oil change. So next time I went back to The Mobil One performance 5W-30

Registered
One needs to consider that the true base weight any oil begins at before adding any multi-vis additives is the lower number.

Meaning without additives a 0W-30 is actually a zero weight oil. Or, where the weight will swing toward if the oil gets used heavily enough to wear out the additives through time, what all oils do.

So, use the cold weight you need but nothing beyond that. Why I ran straight weights here in Texas for 30 years. They are truly the weight on the outside of the container.

Registered
0W30 and 5W30 are BOTH 30 weight oils. They are going to perform the same. There's no harm running 0W30 the entire time. It's just extra additives to help with freezing weather. When it's -40F and you're trying to start your car, you'll WISH you had 0W30.

Registered
Uh, yep, that's how it works. The "W" stands for "Winter". And SAE 30 oil doesn't have those winter additives. I've been doing this stuff for 20 years and I've been on the phone with technical service departments of the oil companies discussing this.

Registered
Not going to argue you're not worth the time I'll let AMC 49 school you. You have a lack of understanding when it comes to the base oil viscosity. The additives are to help it increases viscosity when it gets hot.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Registered
You are 100% wrong. Use whatever oil you want. I am just trying to help people here understand. With 0W30 oils, it makes 5W30 and 10W30 oil obsolete. I don't know why they even bother making those other oils. You can never go wrong using 0W30 100% of the time. It performs well in hot or cold weather.

w/ my magic bag
I'd stick to what the manufacture says for your climate/location....I'd run the 5-30 synthetic such as R/P hps or Mobil 1 w/ a synthetic filter.....

Registered
In the Brutally Cold Canadian Winter鈩 where temperatures drop below -15掳C (5掳F), and often don't rise above -10掳C (14掳F), 0W-30 will definitely be easier on your engine (even with an engine block heater).

Otherwise, I use 10W-30 when the temps come up to (and stay up) above 0掳C.

Additionally, I run regular motor oil in my engine for the first 25000ish km (16000ish mi) on the odometer. After that, it's full-synthetic.

That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

w/ my magic bag
Yea.....but no need to go that far on dino oil thou.....(16,000 miles)

Registered
There is no real good reason to use dino oil except for when the engine is brand spanking new and you want to speed up the break-in process. I am amazed that they have not outlawed this oil.

#1 It takes away fuel economy, negating any savings.
#2 You have to change it more often.
#3 It causes more wear and tear on the engine.
#4 Over time it messes up engine seals.

You are better off running synthetic oil from day 1 and keeping synthetic oil in for the duration of keeping the vehicle. And reap the benefits of extended drain intervals and reducing the need for oil and using up natural resources.

Registered
Just changed it @ 4000km (2485mi), and still going to change it regularly every 8000km (5000mi). I would never run more than 8000km on regular oil, it's just that I've come to know that running regular oil is a good idea during the break-in period.

Registered
LOL, you don't have to run syn oil at all if you don't want. I run cheap Walmart Supertech conventional ($2.78/qt.) at 9K OCIs and can't kill the cars, 3 now well over 200K miles apiece each and run fine. 10-40 in all of them right now.

The oil price totally smashes any fuel savings to atoms. They of course won't tell you that part.

Registered
LOL, you don't have to run syn oil at all if you don't want. I run cheap Walmart Supertech conventional ($2.78/qt.) at 9K OCIs and can't kill the cars, 3 now well over 200K miles apiece each and run fine. 10-40 in all of them right now.

The oil price totally smashes any fuel savings to atoms. They of course won't tell you that part.
If you're in Texas, I'd believe it. In as hot a weather as you guys get, you can run straight-weights. Even if you didn't, the additives in multi-weight oils probably wouldn't get much of a chance to break down and turn into acid in the 50掳C (~120掳F) temps you have down there, synthetic or regular oil.

Up here you simply have to run multi-weight oil. Our temp scale is -40掳C to +38掳C (-40掳F to +100掳F) depending on the season. This recent oil change cost me $46 CAD ($34 USD) for regular motor oil, which is a bargain in my community.

Registered
Yes, the cold there is a problem that oil has to be picked for. Here I had no problem even starting straight 30 weight at 5 below but that ain't spit for a low. When I used to straight weight I ran 40 in summer and 30 in winter.

The no 'global warming thing' up north has created more trouble anyway. Hotter temps often in NYC than here in Dallas, it's just crazy.

Registered

I would NEVER run conventional oil at 9k miles. I use synthetic oil and change my oil every 15,000 miles. You never saw that van that went close to 1,000,000 miles changing his oil every 35,000 miles with Amsoil? I have to find the story on that. They opened up the engine at over 900,000 miles and the entire engine was within 1% of factory specifications. Virtually no wear with all those miles. I've had plenty of friends over the years blow engines using conventional oil. NOT ONCE have I ever had anyone I ever spoke to ever blow an engine using Amsoil and their extended drains.

Registered
Since the Forum is preventing me from PMing a Seller in buy-sell-trade, because I don't have enough posts, until I spam the Forum with useless post:

Just let me say: "Wow. Confusing & informative." 0 weights seem to be popular to try now, online, but I'm not sure you hear, when someone has an engine failure, becuase of it.

Woot! That's #7!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts