Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a dumb question but i am to lazy to go look in my car. what oil weight should i use in the engine? also what oil should i put in the transmission.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I belive it's moble1 5w30 I'm not sure for the tranny. I use 5w30 moble 1 and will be switching to royal purple, I use that in my tranny now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
many of the oil manufacturers have guides to tell you what to put in your car. Mobil 1 trans blah blah for the focus, AMSOIL blah blah for the SVT, you get the idea

worth checking out

·
Registered
400 Posts
5w30 not synthetic. CONVENTIONAL. Everything i have read on this sight says not to use synthetic in the SVT I'm pretty sure anyway. I have been using Quaker State 5w30 in mine and i am very pleased. As for the tranny the poll leads with Royal Purple Syncromax or Syncromesh not sure on the name but it leads by a lot.

Andrew

·
Registered
806 Posts
royal purple 5w30

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
5w30 not synthetic. CONVENTIONAL. Everything i have read on this sight says not to use synthetic in the SVT I'm pretty sure anyway. I have been using Quaker State 5w30 in mine and i am very pleased. As for the tranny the poll leads with Royal Purple Syncromax or Syncromesh not sure on the name but it leads by a lot.

Andrew
No way, I have only ever used Mobile1 and just switched to RP synthetic and it's great. My car doesn't leak a bit of oil and I'm at 123K miles. I also use Mobile1 in my tranny.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I have been using 5w20.
The SVTF takes 5W30.
CONVENTIONAL. Everything i have read on this sight says not to use synthetic in the SVT I'm pretty sure anyway.
I don't think you read that on this site...
The SVTF Owners Supplement states semi-synthetic.
^^^Motorcraft Super Premium Motor oil (Ford spec WSS-M2C205-A) is semi-synthetic.
And, I'll bet 75% of SVTF owners (at least those on this site) use fully synthetic in their engine.

As far as transmission fluid:
Poll: Getrag fluid poll, what you usin?

Here's a scan of the 2004 SVTF Supplement:

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
As stated earlier, full syntetics are fine. The manual specifically states that full synthetic fluids were not used for the break-in period.

Once you pass 4,000 miles or so, it is fine to use them.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The manual specifically states that full synthetic fluids were used for the break-in period.
^^^Correction.
It's just the opposite...go look at that scan I posted.
There are no synthetic fluids or break-in fluids in your SVT Focus engine when it leaves the factory.
Note that SVT does not make recommendations about the use of synthetic oils in your engine.
Should you decide to use synthetic engine oil, we recommend you allow 4,000 to 6,000 miles (6,500 km to 9,600 km) in order to assure complete break-in before switching to synthetic oil.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts

Andrew
what are you smoking!

use synthetic. i used lucas red 5w30 in my svt with lucas gear oil in my tranny. it was sooooo smooth. i loved it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i use castrol 5w20 synthetic next oil change im goin to royal purple 5w30...as for the trans thats going to get dun next oil chang with amsiol.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the help i am going to get mobile 1 for the engine and rp for the tranny

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use 5w30 moble 1 and I will be using 5w30 amsoil next oil change.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
when I take my car to the dealership, they said 5w20..so thats what I have been using
They're wrong...
Next time you go into that Dealer, take a copy of that picture I posted.
Or, better yet show them that same page from your own SVT Owners Supplement.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts