Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the spec for Zetec is 5 20 oil, and thats what I use, ( Castrol synthetic blend). But I was wondering, with my performance mods, (listed in sig.) should I use a different oil?
What weight of oil are you guys using?

·
Registered
88 Posts
With the performance mods you have you are not making alot more horsepower. I run Royal Purple in my car 5-20, and love the stuff. It is pricey, but with my mods or with out I will still run the Purple.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The 5-20 is fine, or you could run 5-30 as well ( I run 5-30 ). Just stay with a good brand of oil and keep it clean. There are plenty of oil threads around if you do a search.

·
Registered
155 Posts
mobil 1 ow-40... been running it since my 2nd oil change and i have 80k on her now and shes still running strong as ever. that and a new motorcraft filter every 5k keeps me grinnin

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Why did Ford change the recommendation from 5w-30 to 5w-20 oil? I've thought a couple of times to tell the tech to put 5w-20 in instead of 5w-30, but I wanted to know what is the advantage of using it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally, I believe Ford changed their oil recommendation down to 5w-20 in order to meet federal fleet fuel economy requirements. 5w-20 is a lighter weight oil and slightly improves fuel economy over 5w-30. The flip side is that it *supposedly* breaks down quicker, loses it's viscosity, and promotes early engine wear - but I can't substantiate those claims, or my personal belief as to why they recommend 5w-20 in the first place.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Be carefull of the weather temperature where you live, a multigrade starting at 0 would be a suicide on hot weathers but would be great for cool weathers, check too how many miles your car has, if think it has been around for a while you should put a fatter oil like 10-30 or 40 or something couz the more wear your motor has the fatter the oil you have to use to prevent leaks on rings and to assure you'll have a good cover of oil on moving parts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use either Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic or the really good stuff like AMSOIL 5W30. I would never go any higher than that especially not 10W30. The thicker the oil the longer it takes to circulate when the engine is cold and that's what wears out the engine especially in the winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
surgeo1919 said:
The thicker the oil the longer it takes to circulate when the engine is cold and that's what wears out the engine especially in the winter.
As long as the oil has a "W" in it, then unless you're subjecting your engine to less than 0 F weather on a regular basis with no engine heater, then the viscosity rating of the oil is neglible for cold starts. The "W" in 5W-30 (or any other viscosity rating) stands for Winter, meaning that the oil is certified by SAE for regular use at temperatures down to 0 F - as long as the oil is API certified, which AMSOIL is not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just changed the oil and filter in my car for the first time. I found a five quart bottle of Motorcraft Syn.blend 5-20 motoroil for under $10. I also picked up a Motorcraft oil filter for under $5. So I got everything for under $15.00. I found all of this at Walmart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally use castrol or kendall, valvoline, 5w20 5w30 and ac/ford brand oil filter, no problems, used in all my cars and pickups for years, those brands and never had an engine problem yet and I drive them over 170,000 before I trade them. I just change it monthly -or- 2500 miles, or if it rains for 5-6 days stright, or i drive thru a flooded street, then it gets changed. CHANGE THAT OIL OFTEN, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT MIGHT HAVE ISSUES OR EXTREM HEAT FOR DAYS AT A TIME!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in a very hot country and use 5w30 Valvoline Synpower 100% sintetic...
If my car were stock, i would not use a 100% sintetic oil, it's kind of waste of money... i would use some semi-sintetic oil...

oil must be changed by a certain number of miles, and not by the type of oil that you are running...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts