Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched pretty hard for this but couldn't come up with anything.

A few days ago I dropped off a friend at his house. I ran inside for a few minutes and left my car idling in his driveway. It was pretty cold out, around 30F.

When I got back in my car I noticed that my coolant temps had dropped slightly and my oil temp had dropped to about 25% (driving temps it's always a tick above halfway).

A few minutes after getting back on the road temps were back to normal.

My guess is a stuck thermostat. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If it were a stuck thermostat your car probably wouldn't have heated back up it would have stayed cool especially with the cold air getting in there. Did you by chance have the defrost on? That would run the air cond. compressor and in turn run your fan, and cool off your motor.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Perfectly normal. Oil temp is a essentially a function of engine loading. Higher loads will increase the oil temp. The oil helps to removes heat from the engine so when the engine is idling and generating relatively little heat, the oil temp decreased. Your SVT I believe has piston squirters (oil jets) that spray oil directly at the bottom of the head of the pistons, which will definitely put a lot of heat into the oil when the engine is really putting out the power. I'm not sure about the SVT Focus, but some manufacturers use an oil cooler when piston squirters are used in an engine because of the expected high oil temps under high engine loads.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Perfectly normal. Oil temp is a essentially a function of engine loading. Higher loads will increase the oil temp. The oil helps to removes heat from the engine so when the engine is idling and generating relatively little heat, the oil temp decreased. Your SVT I believe has piston squirters (oil jets) that spray oil directly at the bottom of the head of the pistons, which will definitely put a lot of heat into the oil when the engine is really putting out the power. I'm not sure about the SVT Focus, but some manufacturers use an oil cooler when piston squirters are used in an engine because of the expected high oil temps under high engine loads.
Ya the oil cooler is located on the block where the oil filter is located.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep an eye on it but it sounds like I don't have to worry.

Thanks for the answers folks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts