Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is some spillover on the hood of the car. Not normal.

Last oil change, it was driven with the oil cap off (didn't do it!) for 40 miles of highway, at speeds of 60 mph max. The oil level did not go down much, so I put the cap on, cleaned up, and went on my merry way.

Now, though, there is residual oil that ends up on the hood and what-not. I assume this happens when the leftover oil inside the engine bay heats up enough to become liquid. I cleaned oil off all the necessary bits when it first happened, and thought I cleaned up the rest before. Guess not. Should I take a power sprayer (like at the DIY carwash bays) to it?

Getting ready to change the oil again. At 40k miles, with 3,500 miles on this oil change, and the oil is at min. Never had a car at min. before...

Going to switch from the Motorcraft synthetic blend to AMSOIL 100% synthetic. I put 1,400 miles/mo on the car, so I need oil that will last and provide good protection, even if it is $10/qt. Which is - unfortunately - more than I make an hour! Haha! Can't wait to be out of college. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can power wash it, you just want to make sure that you cover up any electrical parts and avoid spraying them even still. You'll also want to park and stay there a bit to let the engine cool down before spraying it with cold water.

To be honest, if you're getting oil everywhere and you went from minimal oil loss to being almost empty, I'd assume you have a leak somewhere.

You might want to clean it all up, put the same (cheaper) oil in and see if it keeps doing it. It'd be a shame to waste more expensive oil by spilling it all over.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the components that I should cover up and cover with what?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts