Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I too like a lot of other people have had smelly cam cover problem. But a long time ago had ford dealer fix it for me along with the leaky valve sensor.

But still very occasionally I have had a small smell of Oil coming through.[???:)]

Today I might have found the problem!

After driving fairly hard I pulled into a park and had a look at the oil level (I was imagining that the oil temp had gone up). Unbelievablily as I removed the dip stick the dip stick was so hot about 4 inch's down that it was almost catching on fire. Yep, smoke and all!.[eek]

It appears that this may be causing the smell. The dip stick is realy close to the headers, so close in fact that it needs some extra heat shelding.

There may have been a thread on this before, if so I appologize.

I will attempt to find some insulation and will let you all know how it comes along.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Damned good idea too, I was looking at doing the same. I actually believe that the oil residue in the tube is getting baked on mine despite having normal temperature readings. Let me know what you end up using.

* The only time I have a noticeable oil smell is when I haven't cleaned off the rear of the block after a filter change.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used to always have a burning oil smell, four valve cover gaskets and one VCT gasket and all is much less smelly.

Seriously, though, take a peek at your valve cover, even a tiny seepage can stink like heck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts