Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needing to know why on my 2010 it would start to leak oil from the front cover because the car is only 5 years old with kinda high mileage but the mileage on the car is all highway well 90k of it is. The other 7K is a mix of highway and city. The car came from Texas. But I wanting some general ideas on why would it start to leak since I may half to get rid of the car because they told me will run almost 2,000 dollars to fix the oil leak. So does this sound right for my focus or not when it comes to the oil leak. The oil is running down the front part of the oil pan and them dripping on the ground.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Find a better (honest) mechanic.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Another mechanic as said. Although others may have better luck, thinking the leak is way too early is unreasonable, the car has 100K on it and 5 years, they don't last forever. Luck of the draw as with all cars, some get it and some don't. Highway miles (constant rpm) actually make sure the oil stays hotter longer, and what makes seals and gaskets cook to leak.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ask the mechanic what specifically is wrong that they have to fix. Just "fix the leak" is too general. Ask what components have failed and what damage that has caused. Ask if there's a cheaper alternative to their proposed solution.

Also, if you ask questions and sound like you might have a bit of knowledge, there's a slightly lower chance you'll be taken advantage of.

If they don't want to provide details, it's time to go to a different garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much is it actually leaking ? I have an old minivan with an oil leak. It looks like alot of oil on the ground. But it is actually only leaking 1 cup of oil a month. I would monitor it a few months. It might not be as big a deal as you think to add a little oil once a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds just like a gasket issue. Going on book time $2000 seems way over priced. Its probably a 6-7 hour job with a couple hundred in parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts