Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the oil pressure specs at idle?? I was in traffic today in about 85 degree weather. My oil pressure gauge ~8psi @ idle. Uhhhhh, that seems really low. I think my oil pressure gauge is way off. It is a Glowshift electric oil pressure gauge, I'm thinking the sensor may be bad.

·
Registered
578 Posts
8 psi is too low, but I don't know what spec is....

What oil are you using? Syn/blend/reg, weight?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an old thread but figured I'd throw this out there...

I had the glowshift oil psi gauge in my previous car (saturn) and after a few months the electric sensor for it went bad, showed 0psi at idle, then started leaking a fair bit of oil though it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^yeah, it ended up being the sensor. I went through like 4 sensors in 2 months. The gauge isn't all that accurate either. I have since swapped to a Autometer oil pressure gauge and it is WAAAYYYYY better. I haven't had any issues with it.

The shop manual states that normal oil pressure should be between 39-49 psi at 2000 rpm when the oil reaches operating temp. When I'm cruising at 2k, my gauge is right at 49. That is usually how I verify everything is good. But of course the pressure is a function of rpm.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Glowshifts suck! I HAD 3 them in my truck. All would read off. They are all just thrown in a box in the garage now..

Autometer is well worth the money. [headbang]

EDIT: didn't know this was an old thread....

·
Registered
578 Posts
from alldata at 2000 rpm with hot oil 29-39 psi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts