Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying an oil pressure gauge and a volt meter, because I hate having idiot lights, where's the best place to hook in for the oil pressure gauge? Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd T it off the oil pressure switch.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The Forced induction section might help, Turbo's need an oil feed and IIRC they take it off a port at the end of the cyl. head.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Couldn't you also replace the switch for the real sender for the gauge? Leaving the old plug disconnected or "jumper" it to keep the dash light off and all is good....right?

Hate that the temp gauge is an idiot light which is why I use a scangauge to monitor ACTUAL temps.

·
Registered
17,145 Posts
You can either replace the switch to use gauge only or tee in and use both. I always used both as sometimes a light can attract your attention while you are not thinking about gauges.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't like the T-In, as putting two senders on the end of piping can result in that pipe breaking if they aren't otherwise supported.

Saw this happen once on a Race car that was modified in an attempt to avoid engine issues from oil pressure loss. (Rabbits easily loose pressure when cornering)

Stock idiot sensor & gauge sensor on "T" fittings, wired for light, gauge, and automatic shutdown with pressure loss (override switch for starting).

When the fitting broke, gauge read zero but no light & no automatic shut down because the circuit to ground for the "idiot light" sensor was lost. Driver continued as the car spewed oil, distrusting the single gauge indication. Lunched that engine when the oil ran out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts