Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't driven my car in a while since I'm at school, but when I went home I noticed a bit of oil on the floor. I got underneath the car and this is what I found:

It looks like my oil pan is leaking pretty good, however what concerns me is that it's coming from the transmission side of the motor.

Does this much oil look like its just a bad oil pan seal, or could it be the rear main seal leaking?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's what I do to find a leak in a case like this.

Clean it up with some degreaser, engine cleaner or what ever works. Then drive it some more while checking it peroidocally. You can then see the fresh leak when it starts. It's kind of hard to locate a leak source when it has run and soaked a large area like this.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Agree , clean it up good of all old oild and then with the engine running and a light more then likely you will see oil from somewhere

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys, will do thanks for the help.

One more quick question: how much does a new rear main seal install run?

If it's the oil pan gasket, I know I can do that myself, its just RTV. I know the main seal requires removing the trans which is never good.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It also looks like it could be the windage try gasket (the space between the pan and block). Like everyone said clean it up and see what happens.

Do you see oil leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the trans bell housing? That would lead me to think a rear main. Also if the rear seal has been leaking for a while it's possible that it soaked the clutch disk with oil. Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also looks like it could be the windage try gasket (the space between the pan and block). Like everyone said clean it up and see what happens.

Do you see oil leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the trans bell housing? That would lead me to think a rear main. Also if the rear seal has been leaking for a while it's possible that it soaked the clutch disk with oil. Just some things to think about.
I didn't notice, so I'm gonna have to get under there and look again. If it's coming from the weep hole then that's not good.

I'll have to get under there and clean it up like ya'll said.

I assume the windage tray has it's own gasket?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Those pictures don't really help that much. You have to find the highest point in which the oil is coming from. Yeah, i agree clean it up and drive it, but if you find the highest point in which the oil is coming from you will more than likely find your leak. I've seen the front of blocks covered in oil like that just from a bad valve cover gasket.

Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys.

Any estimate on how much it would cost to repair if it was indeed the rear main seal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks.

I'll be getting under there with some brake cleaner and getting all that old oil off. Then we'll go from there.

Thanks again for your help ya'll.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks.

I'll be getting under there with some brake cleaner and getting all that old oil off. Then we'll go from there.

Thanks again for your help ya'll.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finding a leak is difficult at times. Trust me, I do love a detailed undercarriage, but I am busy and do not have the time needed to tackle a big, dirty, project.
If you are unable to afford the time necessary to locate the leak the "right way" or you are not in a place you could make a large mess (cleaning the oil off with brake cleaner definitely does make a big mess quickly (soaks right through cardboard, towels - make sure to put plastic or a pan of some sorts down) you can do what I learned worked good for a "need to know now" urgency:

Finding a leak from an already oil covered dirty engine without cleaning first:
Take a bottle of talcum/baby powder (*with the holes in the lid) and "powder coat" all the oil soaked sections you suspect the leak may be.
Any new leaks will show themselves as what looks like dark fresh oil as all the old oil has been coated white and any new leak runs over the old.

Hope that made sense.
Pretty simple.

·
Registered
186 Posts
honestly it looks like it's coming from higher up, probably the pcv gasket. If your rear main was leaking it would be a more concentrated area, unless it's dumping enough oil that the wind throws it up against the block, doubtful. Your pan is in rough shape, pretty pitted, however it's more likely to either come from your windage tray or the pcv. Rear main is a possibility but doesn't really show much evidence that it's that. What's the bottom of you trans look like?

·
Registered
85 Posts
well i currently own this car now not him lol. and ya its coming from the crankcase oil seperator. the new gaskets like 12 bucks. but like you said the oil pan is in rough shape. ill probably replace that too no biggie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts