Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's focus dropped a valve seat, and eventually I put it back together. I had a massive oil leak though. I couldn't find the exact location of the leak, but logically, if I didn't have a peak before, then it must have been the oil pan gasket. I bought a new gasket, and this time put the pan back on WITHOUT RTV. It still leaked. I tried again with more RTV and it still leaked. Next I tried just RTV and lots of it...still leaked!!! I'm out of town for the holidays now and I suddenly had a few thoughts. If it leaks without the engine running, can it be the gasket or is all the oil below gasket level? If the oil is below gasket level, that would suggest a cracked oil pan. Is a cracked oil pan semi common on an '01 SOHC Focus? Are oil pans typically such a headache to install on this car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^good to know. So any leak without the engine running would suggest a cracked pan then. I wanted to feel like that was probably it before ordering a new one, but I wanted to order a new one now so that it would be waiting for me when I get home. Any reason I can't make a $28 JC Whitney pan work?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Rust holes aren't uncommon, usually at the bottom. Any jacking on it even with boards could make one of those worse if you needed to do that in the process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moved to General Tech Chat

Rust holes aren't uncommon, usually at the bottom. Any jacking on it even with boards could make one of those worse if you needed to do that in the process.
It's cast aluminum, so no rust, however, to the best of my memory I think I had to jack the engine up a little to remove something down there during the head removal. I do think I used boards, but as you mentioned...that's not good enough.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ah, mine is cast as well - zetecs are steel & I was guessing on the SPI type.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Yeah, not the split level pan like zetec has. If there is a crack I would expect some sort of abrasion marks or damage on the bottom.

Sure that $28 price is correct?, that seems awful cheap.

Sure oil filter base or pressure switch not leaking?, they are screwed into oil galleries full of oil and could leak while sitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts