Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my car has been on jacks for about 3-4 weeks now, (been doing carbon fiber stuff) and i was going to change the oil. and i notice a decent puddle under the car, the puddle was about 8 inches maybe more in a circle. i look at the oil pan, and its got a bit of oil on it. it is on the drivers side part of the pan and on the back of the pan. now, i looked at it real real real close. ITS ONLY COMMING FROM THE PAN! i think. lol. right where there would be a gasket between the windage tray and the pan. it looks like there is a wee bit of oil squeeking out there. hard to tell, but one thing is for sure, its not comming from higher up. there is no oil or any fluids leaking from anywhere higher up. there is a bit of creep up the windage tray, but nothing more than 1 inch. i would seariously doubt its the rear main seal as it would be comming from higher up, but does this sound like its just an oil pan gasket?

mind you, my svt only has 55k miles on it and it is NOT driven hard at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
8 inch circle of oil is a considerable ammount. Clean everything with brake cleaner and see if you can pinpoint the leak. Oil pans on these cars look very easy. Try checking the torque of the pan bolts, they can work loose over time. My GMC Sierra had a minor pan leak that was fixed by re-torquing the bolts. some had worked loose in 150k miles.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8 inch circle for 2 months? it has been on 2 jacks (front only for quite some time) it drips like 3x/day. but its not been run since about june 1. just been workin.

torque is fine, all bolts are bolted down properly so its why i'm stumped.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just need to ask, what is a windage tray? I am not being a smart #$%, I really want to know. [???:)]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the pan uses RTV, i just wanted to cover my basis. but its weird that it would suddenly do this. well, its not rtv, is a silicone ford OEM gasket material. i just can't find any oil any higher. i'm gonna take some pics just to be sure. i am guessing i'm just overthinking it, like i do everything else, its prolly just that simple. but all the bolts are good though.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the part that is between the block itself and the actual oil pan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've serviced the the tranny on 2000 and 2005 Focus I've owned. Buy a kit with the gasket AND a filter. Might as well service the tranny while doing this. I've used Wix kits on both. It's an easy task but once that seal is broken, fluid will dump.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but you can probably get away with using RTV high temp black silicone and curing it in the sun for a few hours. Like doing a rwd diffy. Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean, and dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts