Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am performing some scheduled maintenance and notice some oil seeping from the oil pan (between lower stamped steel and upper cast aluminum). The Ford Parts site states this is sealed with RTV. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a stand off or something to keep the RTV from squeezing out when you tighten the pan?

I will need to remove the catalytic converter to do this it seems.

Any advice is appreciated.

OJ

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Yes. Replace it with a gasket, they make them now, Ford still doing it the stone age way. To save thousands in not having to buy gaskets for the cars, rest assured some Ford middle manager got a fat bonus for coming up with that one.

It is butt easy to seal a clean dry pan with engine upside down on an assembly line, you will find the difficulty level multiplied by a factor of XXX when the pan is all oily and dripping constantly to instantly mess up a reseal job using sealer only. Or, why your car leaks when Ford reseals them now.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
It's actually not that hard using a silicone seal for an oil pan. Just tighten in up as tight as you can without stripping the bolts and let it cure before adding any oil.

As for your second question, I was replaced the cat at the same time (it had begone to clog up) so I didn't have it on when replacing the oil pan. I looked like it could be done without removing the converter but I couldn't say for sure.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
I took my pan off when I went turbo -- it was more of a pain to get it off than to put it back on.

I didn't take the engine out, but rather did it from beneath the car. Just have to make sure it's done dripping and clean up the edge real nice. I used RTV to put it back, and not a leak yet. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts