Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 MK1 Focus SE, 2.0l Zetec, 113k miles.

I'm about to replace the oil pan, but in my research, I've seen that although, per Ford, you only have to use RTV, a dedicated gasket is available on RockAuto. I've seen a well made video where the gentleman covers the mating surface of the pan with RTV, then places a fel-pro gasket atop it, and then attaches the pan to the block, with the gasket mating to the block (ie no RTV on the block).

Is there a "best practice" out there? The gasket seems like a good way to make installation easier vs worrying about attaching the pan perfectly with all that smearable RTV on it the first time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Use the gasket if possible. RTV by itself has the problem if the engine drips even one drop of oil into your RTV install it WILL leak. The engines are originally coated upside down and bone dry so it is not a problem at that time.

Best practice would have a dab of RTV applied at any crack there at the front oil pump join. Or coat the entire gasket one or both sides if wanted. Bear in mind any extra RTV squeezes out to later fall off when oil makes it come loose and getting into oil pump pickup can be a serious issue. Why you use less not more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts