Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. I was replacing my plugs yesterday. Noticed some oil on the threads of the spark plug for the #3 cylinder.

So should I just replace my valve cover gasket or should I check something else?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Peek in again some time in the future without removing the plug to see if any has accumulated.

"some on the threads" doesn't sound like enough to worry about right now, and threads often are dirty with fuel/carbon from the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
2 of mine were filled with oil completely when I changed the plugs. Not sure how it didn't cause a misfire. I figure when I change the plugs next time at 75K, I'll change the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I change my own oil. I have spilled a few times. but the oil in the wells was darker - I think it seeped in from a leak.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 2011 w/125,500 on it... I hope its not leaking too. I am going to change my oil and plugs when I catch a break in the weather, I'll check it then.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My gasket went quick after the first sign of it being bad, eventually two of my spark plugs were filled with oil and eventually became a misfire. It cost 16$ and takes 30 minutes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles were on your car when it went bad? I just turned 69k today and will probably put another 1k on it in the next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a similar incident but it was the #4 cylinder. After I wiped it up it never showed up again. I was using autolite 104's at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts