Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through a few threads in the search, but found nothing.

My question is, I changed my plugs the other night and there is fresh engine oil on them. Any Idea what could be causing this? The car runs good, exept for the bogging below 2K. I'm not sure if it was just oil in the spark plug holes from a leaking valve cover gasket, or something else. The gasket looks allright at this time, but there was oil along the top of the valve cover, so I will be changing it. Assuming there was oil on the electrode, what could be the problem?

I have new Denso plugs, Ford wires, fuel filter, K&N drop in filter and waynes tune. I hooked it up to the scanner at work and there are no codes.

Thanks for any help[:D]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
More than likely, it is what you think, oil that has seeped down from the gasket. If there was oil in the combustion chamber it would burn off and look black and shiny on the plug electrode. Thats just a guess since I can't see the plug, but if you have no blueish smoke on startup or hard acceleration, its prolly a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right and Im stupid. I knew that lol. But I read all the horror stories on this forum and cant allways trust myself. My car has 90,000KM and the only parts changed:

Slave cyl
Alt + battery
belt
tune up and rountine maitenance
And soon a Valve cover gasket

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Im in the same boat as you my friend. Valve cover has been done three times. Its valve seals. Its not leaking from the top, its actually being pushed up from compression. When I was NA, it was minimal pooling, now with FI it was a damn lake. Tonight, I thought for sure I blew my motor. My car sounded like a Subaru. I pulled the plugs, and washed em down with brake cleaner. Still rough. Put the OEM coil and wires on, still rough. I feared the worst and decided to go home (I was at my mother in-laws). I started my car, went inside to say "I'll be back" to my wife and from int he house I heard my idle change. Went out hit the gas - perfect.

On August 12th, 'crazymechanic' is coming to do my seals. Requires cam removal. He had the same issue and he said valve seals cured it.

You can replace the valve cover gasket all you want, but its valve seals...

...do a compression test too...just to be sure.

Mines worst at #1....how bout you?

·
Registered
238 Posts
ya, i've had to change my valve cover gasket also, so tha'ts most likely ur problem. as mike 1 said, do a compression test to double check. i hope that i dont have to redo my valve seals.. that'd stink..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had oil all over plugs 1 and 2, replaced the valve cover gasket, no problems for about 7 months now. Valve cover gasket only cost $15 and takes half an hour. Seals, are a bigger hassle and cost more.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
GRRR that damned valve cover gasket has leaked on me a thousand times! Make sure you replace the GROMMETS when you do the gasket- 99% of the time it is just the grommets leaking and some gaskets don't come with the grommets.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Grommets? You mean where the bolts are?? Hmm, I havent done that...

crazymechanic has me thinking its the gasket now too....but ive done it three stinkin times!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Im a first year apprentice mechanic, so I dont do much engine work yet. However, I have resources that give me perfect instructions on most jobs for many cars/trucks . (like valve seals) So if you ever need info, let me know cuz i have Mitchel online!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts