Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New user thinking about a 2012 Focus. Took a long test drive today and was impressed; well except for the automatic transmission, which seems a bit of a mess, frankly. Very anxious to shift out of 1st and 2nd yet eager to hold 3rd and 4th. I gather this improves as it "learns" more about driving habits?

One other question: is there a way to access the % oil life remaining without generating a "vehicle health report"? It seems this should be easily done (the cars knows, after all), but looking at the manual and fiddling with the controls didn't provide a solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
First thing, it isn't an automatic, it is a DCT, or dual clutch transmission.

In technical terms it is a automated manual transmission, which requires far less maintenance. The downside is it drives like a stick shift controlled by the computer, so it can be rough at times, like a stick shift.

If you buy a Focus, and I love mine, been only driving Focus' for 10+ years now, you will get used to this transmission.

As for the oil life sensor, there is confusion about that, as it supposedly only alerts you when you need the oil change based on your driving habits.

However, check this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272936

There is a lack of reports of the system alerting people, so I'm not sure what is going on with that 'feature'.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I felt the same way about the shifting during the first test drive. It took me one day to get used to the feel and now after 1 week with the car I LOVE it. I don't know if it learns about driving but I have learned how to control it, kind of like a hybrid feel between standard and auto. I drove stick for years and then a regular auto for a couple years, this feels like all the good parts of stick without the annoyance of having to use a clutch or second hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts