Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 2016 EcoBoost Focus in Dec of 2016 it was on a 3 year lease. Because of that I was not that keen of doing oil changes every 5K miles. I thought that after 3 years I would just turn it in and roll into a new lease on a 2019 Focus. So, I decided that I would wait to perform a oil service until the "Change Oil Soon" light came on. At 9,900 miles, and still no oil service reminder, I could not take it anymore and changed the oil and filter. At that time I re-set the oil life monitor. Since then I have done oil and filter changes every 5-5.5K miles. I have not reset the oil life monitor and it has never come on...even though the odometer now reads 31,500+ miles.
BTW, after 3 years I decided to buy the car at the end of the lease. The buy out was only $9,200, which I was pleased with considering when I leased the vehicle there was $0 money down, no trade in and only a $212 per month payment.
Back on topic, has anyone had the oil life monitor service light come on with any regularity, as in every 5-10K miles?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've had imports and domestics and they always worked. Oil life monitors are more based more on fuel usage than miles alone. The computers model takes a few different variables into account - rpm range vs time at given rpm, engine temp, outside air temp, average speed over time. More stop-and-go driving in cold weather will cause a sooner 'change oil' light than summer highway driving. 5000 miles with synthetic oil is fine unless you're driving in extreme conditions like southern Texas in summer or North Dakota in winter.

If you have NOT had a 'change oil' light in 31K there might be a chance you inadvertently turned it off. You didn't say how you reset it so that's a guess. You might want to have a thorough computer scan done and not just a code puller.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have NOT had a 'change oil' light in 31K there might be a chance you inadvertently turned it off. You didn't say how you reset it so that's a guess. You might want to have a thorough computer scan done and not just a code puller.
To reset the oil life monitor, you hold the gas pedal to the floor and the brake pedal down at the same time with the key on, engine off. After about 15 seconds or so the dash displays that the oil life monitor is resetting, after 20 seconds or so of that it says, oil life monitor reset.
I have not done that procedure but once, and that was at 9,900 or so miles. Even at 9,900 miles, the oil life monitor had yet to come on, that is why I went ahead and changed the oil and filter at that time. It was the original oil and filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts