Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Today I noticed an oil leak from the gray component with the black cover just underneath the coolant reservoir, which I thought was an engine mount. If I could get some info on what it is and why it might be leaking.

Thanks in advance,
Damian

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
That motor mount does have fluid in it (or at least yours did) from what Ive read when they leak theyre done.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Alright
How to check your passenger side engine mount:
There is a fluid filled 'bubble' underneath that black cap that holds it up. If the mount is good, then you will not be able to move that plastic cap up or down.
With the fluid gone THEN you will be able to move that black plastic cap up/down by a fraction of an inch.

In my opinion stick with Ford OEM, unless you want 'performance' mounts which will cause noticeable vibration. The regular cheapo mounts will cause nothing but problems, unless of course you are a glutton for punishment.
BTW drive over a speed bump or a pothole too fast, will sure cause a more rapid death of this mount

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks. I am able to press the top cap down so it is done I guess. What could be the consequences of continuing to use the mount for a little while longer before replacing it?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
What could be the consequences of continuing to use the mount for a little while longer before replacing it?
It won't usually result in any long term damage to other components but don't let it go too long. Annoying noise and vibration when driving and possibly some knocking noise on start up, acceleration and deceleration are the usual consequences of badly worn mounts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you can actually remove that top cap anytime you want to check the condition of the fluid filled bladder underneath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts