Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where does the oil originate from. It looks like it is coming from above. It appears to be engine oil and I can't see how it would relate to the transmission. That said, I have not removed a transmission from a Focus myself and I am basing my knowledge on other cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to tell. It is engine oil for sure. They pulled the oil filter housing to do the job. Im not sure what else, but they did have to change the oil for whatever they did. It absolutely did not leak prior to repair. They think main seal. I think main seal would drip out the bottom and not the side. They have the car so i can't really dig into it. Just seeing what else might leak there

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took a look at a couple videos and I can't see why they would have to touched the oil filter housing. I was looking at manual transmissions though so it's possible if you have the DCT. I agree, the main seal would leak from the bottom of where the engine and trans connect.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
Changing the oil/filter isn't going to do that....Rear main seal, only thing above is the cam cover O-ring.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should try cleaning it off with brake clean, and see if returns. A lot of techs do not even wipe pan off when they drain and do oil change, which I hate and why I do my own changes.

·
FF Affiliate
30,152 Posts
Do you know if they change the clutch slave Cyl in the belhousing ? The slave take a o-ring that a lot of people overlook and done change or dont put one on then the trans fluid leaks which looks like oil , see if the trans fluid or the engine oil goes down
Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
The oil doesn't look very clear; as it would when it was newly changed. Seems suspicious unless the transmission work was done a while ago and you've put a couple thousand miles on the car since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The oil doesn't look very clear; as it would when it was newly changed. Seems suspicious unless the transmission work was done a while ago and you've put a couple thousand miles on the car since.
That is not fresh oil on the engine, it is far too dirty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The lug between the oil filter and the transmision looks wet. I wonder if fluid got spilled and ran down.

I concur with Magnetic that you should clean it off and see if it returns...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts