Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a new turbo Zetec build. I have less than 300 miles on the new engine and I've developed an oil leak. It started off small but seems to be getting worse. Here's the puddle after 5 minutes of running:

The source seems to be just below the oil filter, between the block and windage tray. It's NOT the oil filter itself.

Any suggestions? The bolt that you see in the picture is in there pretty snug. I really don't want to have to pull the windage tray if possible.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it coming from the bolt if so can you take the bolt out and seal it or use a teflon washer on it ?

I cant tell what bolt that is

Tom
The white that you see behind it is my oil filter. The oil doesn't seem to be coming out of the bolt, although it might be. Rather, it seems to be coming from above it and leaking down onto the bolt. It's almost like the gasket isn't seated properly along that area of the windage tray.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Jeff, i had a leak in that exact spot. Double check where the oil pressure switch screws into the block. Also did you tee into that spot for a oil pressure gauge or turbo feed line.? It took me actually cleaning it 2or3times. And actually getting under the car while it was running. And using a mirror , to see it leaking. There is also another oil galley plug just to the left of the op switch. Mine was a torx head pipe thread plug..

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rocco. I was wondering about the oil pressure sensor myself. It's such a difficult place to see. You just can't get a good eye on it. I'm thinking about putting some UV dye in the oil and trying to track it down that way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, got it up on a lift today and tracked down the source of the oil leak. It's coming out of the oil pressure switch. I obviously didn't seat and/or torque it correctly when I installed it. Nor did I use any kind of sealant. Time to do it right.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Okay, got it up on a lift today and tracked down the source of the oil leak. It's coming out of the oil pressure switch. I obviously didn't seat and/or torque it correctly when I installed it. Nor did I use any kind of sealant. Time to do it right.
All right , at least its something simple to fix. It sure was hard to see where it was coming from. And I thought the same thing, that the windage tray was the culprit. But it was the sending unit on mine as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts