Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Newbie here.

My Focus 1.8tddi (2000) runs like magic. 222,000 miles on the clock. I keep it well maintained but the engine developed it's first an oil leak a few months ago and I can't seem to figure out where it's leaking from. It must be coming from the gearbox side as it seems to only be the gearbox and surrounding area that is drenched in oil.

I've replaced the usual suspects - oil pressure switch, rocker cover gasket and even a new crankshaft seal (gearbox side) but there is still plenty of oil on the appearing on the gearbox. I've checked hoses and pipes and nothing is split etc. All the injectors are sealed and no presence of oil.

Problem is that when I jet wash the gearbox and leave the engine running there is no obvious drip of oil. Yet when I've been out for a drive there is fresh oil on the gearbox housing (definitely not gearbox oil) so it must be occurring while the engine is under load.

Do any of you have any ideas where the leak could be coming from? A Ford mechanic said to check the vacuum pump seal and there is definitely oil around the bottom of it (nothing from the top) so I've bought a new seal. Could that be the problem? Also, I can't find any sensible instructions on how to remove the pump.

Looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Scoobydoo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I think I've found it. I popped to my lad's house (he's a BMW mechanic) on the way home from work with the engine oil nice and hot and got him to look at it by torchlight. He asked what I'd done and I said crankshaft seal, oil pressure switch, rocker cover gasket, checked all the pipes. He immediately said it's the vacuum pump. He shone the torch at the bottom of the pump where there was oil and held it steady while one of his mates revved the engine. Sure enough there was a hairline gap between the bottom plate (where the pipes attach) and the main pump unit. My lad said it's quite common on Ford Focus's of my car's age. He explained that the plate is riveted to the main unit and over time the rivets expand with heat and contract again and eventually give way enough over time such that a gap that's too small to see with my old eyes appears. But there it is. So when I have a free weekend he's going to drill out the rivets, clean it up, seal it again and reattach the bottom plate to the unit with nuts and bolts. He says he's done this before and never had any issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Right then. Me and my lad did the work at the weekend. Removed the vacuum pump (that was a faff in itself) and there was definitely oil seeping between the pump itself and the riveted on plate. So my lad drilled out the rivets, resealed it by applying some gasket sealant, put it back together with new nuts and bolts, and refitted it to the engine. Now 4 days later and no sign of an oil leak. Everything is bone dry and clean. Happy days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts