Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks - I will post a pic later once I get home - I was under the car last night and I see oil leaking from under the motor, drivers side, basically where it appears that the motor and transmission mount. What I did see that appears as the source of the leak, is a round cut out, the diameter of a quarter where it appears one can see the flywheel. My car is an automatic, so not sure if 'flywheel' is the right term.

It appears that something removable would go there (cutout), so you could see the condition of the gears...and without it, might be where my oil leak is coming from. I know that this would not be under much pressure, so possibly a simple 'plug' is what is missing? I had the car on stands and do not see any oil coming from anywhere else.

2001 auto Zetec is what I have.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]I did see something while researching that indicates that this 'cutout' might be an access hole for bolts securing the torque converter? If this is the case, anyone know what this 'plug' is called?

Any help appreciated.

Thx

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Correct term is a flex plate. there is a plastic plug that should go in there but it gets brittle quick and usually falls out. its to avoid pressure in the bell housing area. the oil will not be leaking due to not having any thing there.

the likely culprit would be the engine main seal on that side.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Figure out if engine or trans oil, trans will have red tint to it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its oil, no red tint. Funny as my oil on dipstick is honey colored as i would expect, yet this is real dark. Not brake or ps fluid. Here is a pic of the hole it is coming from. Prior to Friday when started, i know there was something in the opening, so fairly confident if i can figure what was there and replace, it will keep from leaking. Before the car had a very slight oil residue in that general area...for years, yet never got worse.

http:// [URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Minx20/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140819_201533_zps28d6a3c3.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
There should be no loose fluid there all the plug may have done is allow it to disperse and create a residue else where. there should be NO fluid in the bell housing. you can plug it up and stop a physical leak onto the pavement below up regardless you likely have a bad engine main seal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Magus2727 - We did have a big storm situation on Friday, wife was driving the car nearby and luckily made it home, but said she went into water half way up the wheel...ugh, I know, but she turned back home as she was about a 1/2 mile away - I'm thinking that 'plug' got knocked out as that same morning there was zero oil on the garage floor (as many miles and as long as I've had this car with need to do most of my own repairs, I check several times a week for leaks etc) - then the car sat till Monday morning - off to work she went - later same night, Monday, I went to move the car so I could work in the garage and noticed the drips on the floor. Luckily she works close to home..approx. 6000 miles a year worth.

Do you have a service manual with that part number as I might stop by FORD tomorrow and see if they have it -some of those part #'s are difficult to track down.

Would be grateful for the info if you have it - thx

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I can try to find something but IIRC from when I did some work they not longer make the plug. you just need to get a general plug that a part store may have. the leak is not a bad thing as long as you keep an eye on the fluids. I just rebuilt my motor and I think my main seal did not seat properly so even rebuilt or replace seals could still leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts