Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
yeah mines done this for the life of my car, i just make sure to check my oil levels and make sure it doesnt all leak out lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just a quick question since I've already replaced my valve cover myself but I due have a timing cover leak but it doesn't use any oil should I have it fixed or not really worry about it. I'm almost at 90k on my 14 Focus. I bought the Focus at 45k and I found the leak at 50k.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a quick question since I've already replaced my valve cover myself but I due have a timing cover leak but it doesn't use any oil should I have it fixed or not really worry about it. I'm almost at 90k on my 14 Focus. I bought the Focus at 45k and I found the leak at 50k.
Depends on how fast the oil leaks out, I suppose. My last one was a gusher. Lost 1/2 litre of oil through one OCI.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine has never used any oil but I'll keep an eye on it. Also since I bought an extended warranty I may use it before it expires at 110k.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm going through this hassle right now. Took vehicle in for rear main seal leak, and possible catalytic converter (p0420). Dealer called back and said there is a timing cover leak, along with the RMS. All together i got a quote of $1,400 for everything. Reading this post let me know how much of a job and hassle it saved me from trying to do it myself. Lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've decided not to fix the timing cover leak. After almost three years of having my Focus the timing cover leak hasn't gotten any worse. The rear seal is usually replaced when they replace the clutches.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
1400$ ? It was done 3 times under warranty on my car and it was 100$ for parts (under warranty) and about 2 hours of work... Hmmm...

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
1400$ ? It was done 3 times under warranty on my car and it was 100$ for parts (under warranty) and about 2 hours of work... Hmmm...
3 times!!

Wow I'm feeling lucky not single drip from the rear main seal / valve cover and timing chain cover.

Something is odd on the quality of the gasket & seals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just finished paying a little while ago. I dropped the car off yesterday morning, and everything was completed today. I thought it was expensive to begin with, but sincw im at 77,000 mi no warranty was covered except for the clutch. Looks like the labor was the mosy expensive part, but it doesnt show how many hrs total work was done. Kind of suspicious, but im not too sure either.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just finished paying a little while ago. I dropped the car off yesterday morning, and everything was completed today. I thought it was expensive to begin with, but sincw im at 77,000 mi no warranty was covered except for the clutch. Looks like the labor was the mosy expensive part, but it doesnt show how many hrs total work was done. Kind of suspicious, but im not too sure either.
They shouldn't charge diagnostic fix if they actually fix the car... all local dealers goes by this rule here... meh.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Why shouldn't we charge for diagnosing a problem? We're in the business to make money.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Why shouldn't we charge for diagnosing a problem? We're in the business to make money.
It's about the money, I understand.

However, there's a lot dealers don't understand (and business owner)...

To make money, you need customers that are happy to spend money at your store. If you piss the customer off with extra charges, they'll go somewhere else.

Also, once the diagnostic is done, nothing stop the customer to shop arround to get his car fixed. Removing the fee kind of say "look, we will fix it and get your money but will not rape you too much". You wouldn't beleave how far a simple gesture can go in PR.

Charging everything to the penny is not a good solution. Yes, you do make money but in the end you make less.

Just look at Amazon, and Walmart, and HomeDepot. You can buy and return anything with no question asked. They are rich!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the concern and input. The diagnostic charge is for a p0420 i keep getting. They waived the charge for the rest though and said if it comes on again within 30 days i wont be charged again. Kudos to them. Just took a look under the car to make sure the services charged were performed. It looks like everything was done that i was charged for, although messy and I am kind of skeptical of the valve cover gasket since the surrounding surface is still dirty. Also the sealant doesnt look to have adhered well on the bottom front portion of the timing cover. Time will tell though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's about the money, I understand.

However, there's a lot dealers don't understand (and business owner)...

To make money, you need customers that are happy to spend money at your store. If you piss the customer off with extra charges, they'll go somewhere else.

Also, once the diagnostic is done, nothing stop the customer to shop arround to get his car fixed. Removing the fee kind of say "look, we will fix it and get your money but will not rape you too much". You wouldn't beleave how far a simple gesture can go in PR.

Charging everything to the penny is not a good solution. Yes, you do make money but in the end you make less.

Just look at Amazon, and Walmart, and HomeDepot. You can buy and return anything with no question asked. They are rich!
There's a huge difference between selling a product that can be repackaged and resold, and selling a service. Neither Amazon nor Walmart actually loses money on returned products. The products are repackaged and resold. In most cases, the markup on the product is enough to cover any incurred costs. Also, Walmart and Amazon are huge companies. Most dealerships are independent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought my 2015 Ford Focus SE in to a Ford Dealership for something else and they found this same leak. I have to return next week cause they said it's a 7+ hour job. It only has 32, 215 miles on it...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I brought my 2015 Ford Focus SE in to a Ford Dealership for something else and they found this same leak. I have to return next week cause they said it's a 7+ hour job. It only has 32, 215 miles on it...
Sigh. I hope mine never leaks again or the cars getting sold.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The actual work time is around 5 hours, but the sealer needs time to dry. The only parts should be oil, RTV sealer, crankshaft seal and a valve cover gasket.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts