Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine has actually been "seeping" since 9k miles and I was able to live with that( and it was not bad enough to be warrantable yet), I work at a ford dealership so I always keep an eye on the leaks but it wasn't getting worse (oil dipstick never showed even the slightest bit low between oil changes at 6,500 mile intervals), but the last cold snap and ice we had here in Texas made it actually start leaking and dripping big time at 33k miles.

Got it put in the shop on Monday and should have it back by tomorrow. Just wanted to share my experience and wanted to know if anyone else has ran into this!!

Picture attached is an example of a timing cover leaking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Great for corrosion resistance .... not so much in Texas...

Git r done! [:D]

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mine's seeping too, bringing it in when the oil needs changing, I just noticed that it was wet when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. Figure get that sorted, recalls done, and clutch packs changed all at once. I was around 35k when I saw it.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I had a similar oil film but they said it was the valve cover gasket. Didn't even change the oil after they replaced the gasket which pissed me off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had mine done at 20k. Are these repairs holding? Or can we expect the cover to need replaced in another few years?
It's not the cover that would need to be replaced it's the seal that is applied, only time the actual cover would need to be replaced is if it is damaged.

There is no gasket on these, it's all sealant and appears that it's rather hit and miss on the factory sealing job, seems it's either you get one that won't leak or it leaks at 10,000 miles , luck of the draw so to speak

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
It's not the cover that would need to be replaced it's the seal that is applied, only time the actual cover would need to be replaced is if it is damaged.

There is no gasket on these, it's all sealant and appears that it's rather hit and miss on the factory sealing job, seems it's either you get one that won't leak or it leaks at 10,000 miles , luck of the draw so to speak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using FF Mobile
Yeah ... mine is completely dry even for the valve cover.

Must be someone sleeping on the assembly line.

Reactions: Fabio0716

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

If you want, do it yourself. If they can't get it right. Buy your own gasket maker and download the shop manual and do it yourself.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
pretty common problem I think. I had to have this done on my 2014 at about 20k miles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you guys clarify (some of you at least)? Some said they thought it was the timing cover, others said it turned out to be the Valve Cover.

EDIT* I suppose the chain needs oil.. but grease would work for hundreds of thousands of miles if it was fully sealed up in there... My experience is with timing belt engines. I'd be suspicious of crank shaft, CAM shaft, balancer and idler shafts dynamic seals leaking underneath the timing cover.

My Valve Cover started to seep a little around 15-25k on the front of the engine. I went around and slowly tightened all the bolts in the recommended pattern over and over at the recommended torque, it no longer seeps - I'm at 65k now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you guys clarify (some of you at least)? Some said they thought it was the timing cover, others said it turned out to be the Valve Cover. I suspect there are no cases of the timing cover being a problem and this thread is grossly misleading.

I may be wrong, but there should be no oil under the timing cover. If there is, there are dynamic seals on shafts on the front of the motor that need to be replaced (most often the CAM or Crankshaft seals).

My Valve Cover started to seep a little around 15-25k on the front of the engine. I went around and slowly tightened all the bolts in the recommended pattern over and over at the recommended torque, it no longer seeps - I'm at 65k now.
The timing cover DOES have oil behind it I mean there is an oil-bathed timing chain under the timing cover after all, and mine did leak , they replaced my front crank seal and valve cover gaskets too and resealed the timing cover. This thread isn't misleading at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can you guys clarify (some of you at least)? Some said they thought it was the timing cover, others said it turned out to be the Valve Cover.

EDIT* I suppose the chain needs oil.. but grease would work for hundreds of thousands of miles if it was fully sealed up in there... My experience is with timing belt engines. I'd be suspicious of crank shaft, CAM shaft, balancer and idler shafts dynamic seals leaking underneath the timing cover.

Both of my MK3s definitely leaked at the timing chain cover. 100% sure of that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One of the things my list to get fixed when i can get some time to take my car in. Got 45k on mine and it's been leaking for the last 2 oil changes at least.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I'm eating my words now... I wish this car had a timing belt.

I'm at 70,900 miles and my timing cover is leaking pretty good. I'd rather be doing a timing belt than dealing with this crap. The Crank shaft accessory pulley is not keyed to the crank shaft!!!! I hate this car. The Crank Shaft Sprocket is not keyed either, its held on by FRICTION?!!!!! I hate value engineering (AKA cost reduction).

I need to buy 3 special tools and create my own gasket, and risk not getting the timing perfect. This may be the first time I'll have to pay a mechanic to fix something for me.

I'm guessing $800-$1100. Anyone have experience with the cost of this repair? It will mean valve cover gasket, and front main seal while they are in there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Reading about the procedure of removing the crank pulley on this engine makes me cringe a bit. "...the entire engine timing relies soley on the torque from the nut..." Whaaaat the.....

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yea, I heard it's a VERY intensive procedure. Fwiw, I had both my timing chain gasket and valve cover gasket replaced on my mk3 within 30k miles. Pretty poor quality in my opinion. Those should get triple the mileage out of them than what we're seeing.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I had to have mine replaced at a low mileage. I didn't realize it was such an extensive process to replace. That blows. I feel lucky I was able to get mine done under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts