Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've dealt with this before and the outcome was not good..... however the fix was quite easy.

I changed my spark plugs yesterday and upon doing so, 2 plugs came out with quite a bit of oil on them. I looked up and around the Valve Cover gasket (what I could see without taking the VC off) and did not see any oil trailing down from the gasket. There was oil INSIDE the combustion chamber. 2 Cylinders were wet inside with oil, the other 2 dry.

I know this can mean a few things. Things I can think of are:

1. Piston Rings failing
2. Valve Stem Seals failing
3. Valve Cover Gasket leaking somewhere I can't see, then oil spilling into the combustion chamber when removing the spark plug.

As of right now I know that I need to run a compression test to see how my rings are holding up. I've read that the rings on the SVT are THE point of failure in these engines :(

Anybody have any clues, tips, tricks, things I should try..... I've already started looking at engine rebuild costs and its not looking pretty.... however, cheaper than buying a new car! :) Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!

PS. Car is a 283,000 KMs and is a 2002 SVT Focus (Vin5)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Really oil in a CC there is only 1 cause, rings. The little that could seep past a stem seal would just burn out, quite noticeably under decel.

If you haven't noticed any smoke, I really doubt it's either. More than likely it's just drip down that was in the plug well from a leaking VC gasket.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'll say that I've had to replace my VC Gasket MANY times in the past. I have not noticed any smoke out the tail pipe but havent really LOOKED. Car has been running a bit rich lately so smell is kinda out the picture becuase it just smells like gas.....

I'm going to run a compression test just to be sure but yea a VC Gasket is much cheaper than a rebuild so I'll start there, do a compression test then go from there.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ Well said..... I'm thinking I want to get a leak-down tester and do a full leak-down test on it. That would truly reveal whats wrong with it where a compression test would only tell me if its leaking or not but not really point to what (rings or valve stem seals)

My gut has been looking at these so far:

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...ocus-Zetec-SVT-ST170-73p2120.htm#.VAKYq_ldUoM

and

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...Focus-Zetec-SVT-ST170-73p890.htm#.VAKaRPldUoM

And maybe just get some new valves from Rock Auto. SVT Valves seem to be about $50ish for intake valves and another $50ish for exhaust valves then $15 for valve stem seals. Think Valve seats would need to be replaced? probably while doing the job eh..... hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself here and its just a leaky valve cover gasket....... My wallet would love me much more!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Didn't they have a piston and rod package deal at one point? Cause I know it was a helluva deal but I don't remember anything besides that.

Either way keep us updated on how it goes. A leak down test would be good as well.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
How is the car running ?

Does it beller white smoke ?

If it runs good . doesnt smoke and your plugs are wet then it came from removing the plugs ( oil around plugs outside chamber ) , only way the plugs could be wet with out you would have a dead Cyl and smoking like a tar keel

Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea..... car runs good, seems to have lost a tiny bit of power but that could be where I am right now (hot climate)

It does not blow white smoke. I've got a catch can and quite a bit of oil goes into the catch can, but thats probably unrelated.

That being said, I ordered a Leak-Down tested online. It'll be here tomorrow so a leakdown test wouldnt hurt either way.....

Thanks Tom for your input, it definitely makes me feel alot better for my 5hr drive home tomorrow lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts