Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the same exact thing happen to my 2012 Focus as has been reported in this thread here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259668.

It had around 300mi on it and was less than a week old. I was driving around and my oil light came on, pulled over immediately and opened the engine compartment to see oil _everywhere_. It was dripping down from the hood and you could see that same mark where it looked like a gusher was spurting up into the hood liner. Oil was dripping down into the wheel wells and all over the brake pads. The weather stripping had melted.

We had it towed it in to the dealership and was ensured that they would make it "like new". As seems typical, I had to get very specific about every thing I wanted to them fix. Replacing hood liner and firewall liner, brake pads etc. Of course this was the first time I'd had to take it in for service, and didn't know what the deal was - they should have offered me a loaner vehicle but didn't. I was very clear that we were going to be very particular about the car, and we expected to get it back clean. They gave me many assurances about what a great job they would do.

When we picked it up we did a sweep and could tell that they were sloppy. There was oil in the wheels we wiped out, but I thought if that was the only issue that we should let it go. It looked clean enough, but there was not a formal inspection of the car with a service rep, which I was pretty surprised about. This wasn't a normal service situation; this was a brand new car coming back for a serious problem, but the service rep wouldn’t have even spoken to me unless I had specifically called him out to the front. I would have just been given a claim ticket and given the car to drive away.

Two days later and now we see oil leaking out of the engine compartment again. I can't tell if it is another leak, or if it is the results of the poor job of cleaning the car. There is oil all over the bottom of it and in the wheel wells. It's not massive, but My 1996 Honda does not have oil residue and dirt on it like this car does. It's not "like new" for sure. The wrapping around the wires is coming un-done because it’s been soaked with oil, the hoses are sticky, dirt is sticking to the oil on everything. It goes on and on.

It's very depressing. This is my first brand new car. It was a real leap of faith for me to buy a new car – the depreciation, the added expense, etc. But I was so excited about this car! I loved the new Focus! I researched the heck out of it, ordered the one I wanted and waited almost 12 weeks for it come in. I got the top of the line with everything on it, which from these forums sounds like it might be a non stop pain in the butt. Hooray!

I do not want to have to ride these service reps on every single thing they need to do to take care of this, but I want it taken care of properly.

Any advice from other Focus Fanatics? I have no idea what expectations I should have from the dealership or what I am entitled to as a result of this. I was prepared to be happy with the fix and move on, but now I’m completely unsure, and I don’t think there is anything I can do about it anyway than keep having it fixed. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Are my expectations on how clean the car should be returned to me too high? [?|]

Thanks very much! [cheers]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did they put a new hood liner in for you? I would try to clean what you can yourself, and if you're still not happy, then talk to the service manager, maybe they can send it out to have the engine compartment professionally detailed. A mechanic probably isn't the best person to detail an engine compartment. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did replace the hood liner, the firewall liner and the weatherstripping, and said they replaced the brake pads and some additional rubber.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
Good Lord, that's terrible to see on a brand new car, and that you're not the first to have it happen. I second the notion to have the dealer send it out for a professional steam cleaning. If they refuse, just pay for it yourself. I'm looking around on the internet at what local detailers charge for the service and it doesn't look terribly expensive. With all the oil and dirt gone you can get a better idea of whether or not there are any other parts that should be replaced.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agree talk to dealer rep, and Ford rep. The engine compartment should be professionally steam cleaned, and all those 'little' bits clean.
Sorry for your problems. And yeah, what happened is the dealer just handed it to one mechanic to 'fix' and that was it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Are there any good Ford service departments out there?

I think that you should tell the dealer to have it detailed; it is clearly part of the warranty work. If they balk, try to escalate it via Customer Service. If they are not helpful (which is likely), then you might want to report this to NHTSA and get your local District Attorney involved.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, the dealer is also the Ford service rep. Supposedly the "biggest in the US". We are going to deal with the hassle and take it back again. I just don't want to be dealing with this continually over the life of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts