Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently decided it was about time to change my spark plugs. Well i got the spark plugs i needed, but when i opened her up, the first chamber i looked into had oil filled almost to the top!
Obviously i didn't take the plugs out, i recognized the problem and called a local garage. He said that the new gasket change and the spark plug change will cost me around $250.
Does that sound right? Is this a job that would be easy enough for me to do?
I don't really feel like spending $250 on this as i have my eyes on other parts right now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Others may disagree, but if it were me, I'd take a rag and soak up the oil from the chamber, pull the plug and put new anti-seize on it, and then retorque to spec. Sometimes, the plug is loose which could cause the oil leak. It's worth a try before dropping the cash. Otherwise, a new valve cover gasket isn't too bad. It'd be about a few hours and a new gasket.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
That's a rip off IMO

Plugs-$20.00 tops

Valve cover gasket-$35.00 tops

One hour of labor-$75.00-100.00/hr tops

Equals $130.00-155.00 tops

Find a better shop.

Or, do it yourself. for under $60.00

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Others may disagree, but if it were me, I'd take a rag and soak up the oil from the chamber, pull the plug and put new anti-seize on it, and then retorque to spec. Sometimes, the plug is loose which could cause the oil leak. It's worth a try before dropping the cash. Otherwise, a new valve cover gasket isn't too bad. It'd be about a few hours and a new gasket.
Thats what i was thinking of doing. I tried soaking the oil out of one with a bunch of paper towels but that was a pain and at the time i didn't have time to fiddle with it. Also the bigger problem was that once i got most of the oil out, I got the plug to break loose with the wrench and then it immediately got stuck again and i couldn't get it loose. Ill have to get my friend with his impact wrench

That's a rip off IMO
I was a little annoyed and just called the first place on google to get the painful talk over with and see what i might be looking at in terms of cost.[nutkick]

·
Registered
10 Posts
$250 is probably a little bit steep but if you are handy and have tools you can do this job for as little as 50 bucks.

Valve Cover Gasket $ 23 at Napa Autoparts made by Felpro

Plugs will vary depending on your engine but for my 2.3L duratec i went with Autolites A103 @ $ 2 a piece .

The job is very simple, there is an A1Auto video out there that shows exactly how to do it.

Good luck

·
Registered
753 Posts
Holy crap Pist0n, check my post here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6728713&postcount=53

May not be same engine as you have but it was damn easy. $20 for the gasket and less than $10 for spark plugs. Took about 30 min to do it.

I have an air compressor and a air chuck (? Hooks to the air hose and you press a lever that releases compressed air) that has a port on the side where I can hook a hose or tub to and when releasing air it sucks up what ever I have the tub on. Used that to remove the oil from my trench and spark plug area.

As for the plug getting stuck, I wouldn't impact it. Id tighten them down again and try to remove again and keep doing that till free. Woould help if you sprayed some wd40 down there.

When you do get them out, id use a spark plug thread chaser to clean up those threads for easier installation and removal next time.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
If you simply called rather than take your vehicle to them. They are always going to shoot high on the estimates because they aren't exactly sure what they are getting into in most cases. They don't want to tell you $150 and then have the final cost come to $250, you would have been pissed if that were the case. But like everyone else said, it's an easy fix. Just pull out the plug boots, use either an old cloth or some paper towels to soak up the excess oil. I had the same thing happen on my Focus. I just used a long pair of needle nosed pliers and stuffed paper towels down the side until most of the oil was soaked up. Another thing you could use is a small suction nozzle of some sort to get a lot of the oil out as well. Once most of the oil is removed you can then remove the plugs to check them. But I would also change the valve cover gasket since that is most likely the culprit for you to have oil in your spark plug wells. Moved this to "General Technical Chat" since it is more of a maintenance issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts