Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand is the best to use...i am at 4500 miles and i am do for the first oil change at 5000....i hear fram bites should i just stick with a ford or go for mobil or redline or amsoil http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html those i think are a bunch of bs and just cost more

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Fram doesn't make a filter for us, yet.

Motorcraft is probably your best bet. K&N claims they sell a filter too, but I don't think anyone has tested it yet. I do know the Purolator filter works; someone is using that already.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've seen more than one website where someone has torn down a variety of oil filters to get a close look at how they are built. I don't have any links handy but Google will get you there fast if you want to see for yourself.

The conclusion is usually that the Fram filter is very cheaply constructed; and filters from Purolator and Wix tend to be comparable to OEM (no surprise since they are actually the ones building the OEM filters).

I use the Motorcraft filter, personally.

I have heard people complain about the price of the Motorcraft filter. My dealer charges around $8. That seems pretty fair to me. I personally don't want the $2.99 special (which is a moot point because el-cheapo filters apparently don't exist for this application yet) because the cheap filter is cheap for a reason.

You want to talk about price-rape for a filter - the BMW dealer charges close to $20 for a filter for my motorcycle. Makes the $8 Motorcraft filter seem like a stone cold bargain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts