Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion of the BEST oil filter out there? I'm leaning toward Wix, but there might be some better. Inform me?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yeah, Motorcraft stock filter.
I change my oil a lot and am concerned about filters.
After reading a LOT about them, the difference is so small between top tier filters. I would rather use the filter with the exact valve pressure and flow Ford dictates.
Motorcraft has a good reputation, and the big deal aftermarket ones are all buzz. Which means someone 'likes' them, no proof they are really better. just the 'idea',
and the fact they cost three to five times more.

I use Mobil One oil.. and rely on the Motorcraft filter 100%.
The money spent on the fancy filter better spent changing the oil more often.
I change my own oil yet, even though I am a 62 year old bag.. Then i KNOW it is done right, with the oil I paid for...**

**(Some car places take advantage of women, and will use cheap oil when expensive is paid for, and not even DO the oil change and claim they did....not change the filter.. Besides the usual stripping the drain plug etc.. Same thing a few tire places.. One even telling me I need new tires "IMMEDIATELY, My life is in danger" BS.. Lucky for me I know tires myself..I was there to look at aftermarket wheels...))

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've recently used Purolator PureOne b/c of their rebates earlier in the year. Gone through three of them so far at 7,000 miles run each and subjectively seem to do a great job. Reviews online too say they are good too. Plus the sandpaper coating is nice for removing them, gives you lots of gripe. They are relatively large which is good b/c of more filter area.

I've got a few Bosch Extended Plus 15,000 miles filters next up. On Amazon they still have rebates going. They are massive and the quality "looks" amazing. With Quaker State synthetic 5W-30 I think I'll push the change to 10,000 or 12,000 miles.

I've used Wix and word is they are a great filter too. I think the basic rule should be stay away from Fram unless you get their most expensive model.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wix is good stuff you will not go wrong using them. Check out the website for Wix and you will see it's pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If you go on youtube there is a few guys who bought a bunch of different filters and cut them open. Once you see the video you can better judge for yourself what you want in a filter.

Im sticking with motorcraft myself. It isnt the best IMO there are others that IMO are better but its not a bad price and i dont have to go any place special to get em.

I prefer medium amount of pleetes and the metal end caps with the sealed bypass valve.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, I FINALLY got an answer from the DEALER that told the Wife she needed LOTS of service on her car.. - Oh, We tell that to EVERYBODY!

Recommend EVERY service offered, & tell the customer it's "urgent" & they NEED to get it done "right away"....

SAME dealer (Honda) tried to charge a "diagnostic fee", on replacement of a broken power window regulator.... UNDER WARRANTY ! (gee, the window doesn't work, THAT'S an easy diagnostic...)

"Oh we charge EVERYBODY a "diagnostic" fee, what's your problem"

Myself," Uh gee, charging "diagnostic" on a warranty repair is ILLEGAL"....

Four arguments later, they decided to "drop" the "diagnostic fee"...

Luck!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
And back to the question at hand, Wix is GOOD, So is the Motorcraft...

I've used Mobil One and K&N's when I got them for free.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
After having sold more than my fair share of variable valve timing system rebuilds, stick to Motorcraft and Motorcraft only. Every vehicle we have to do motor work on has little or no history of changing the oil with Motorcraft filters. The sad thing is most of the aftermarket filters that claim to be very good cost more than the same Motorcraft filter. I have been driving Ford's only for over 35 years and have yet to have a motor failure due to oil or filter related issues.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There was one on youtube that looks pretty good but im still not sold on it.

The royal purple filter. That thing looks REALLY well built. Im sure it will cost 3X the price of the most expensive filter though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There was one on youtube that looks pretty good but im still not sold on it.

The royal purple filter. That thing looks REALLY well built. Im sure it will cost 3X the price of the most expensive filter though.
It is a good filter, it is made by Champion Labs, the makers of AcDelco, Supertech, STP, K/N, Mobil1 filters .

Personally I use Motorcraft and Supertech filters and cut most of them open after each use. Never a problem.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wix or Motorcraft??

I always try to buy Motorcraft filters when there on sale. I change oil every 3500. miles, send a speciman off to Scheifer Oils for an annual diagnostic. I stick with 5-20 semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil for the lube. 154,500 miles and going strong.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well the first few oil changes i did on my car i just used fram then i watched the youtube videos and then decided on what i liked about the filter.

Ill stick with motorcraft from now on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO-

Avoid Fram like the plague [vommit]

Motorcraft [thumb]

Purolator PureOne [thumb]

Wix [thumb]

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Fram extended guard is an excellent filter, but at almost 10 bux there's plenty of other good filters available that are cheaper.

I personally use napa gold/wix filters. I put a bosch distance plus one on this time to try it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts