Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have space in my garage to actualy do work and change the oil of my car, what brand of oil filter should i use and what are the part numbers?

I plan to use Mobile1 5W-20. Now just what oil filter should i use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks! I picked up 2 filters at Walmart after Pepboy's didnt have any but while i was at Pepboys I got a 6 pack of Mobile1 were they only charged me $7 for the 6 bottles of oil. The bar code on the box is for the individual bottles too, so i for 6 for the price of 1. man the ppl working there are stupid! haha

this will be the first time I've done my own oil change, so i went threw my receipts from Jiffy lube and i noticed the dumb asses have been putting in 10W-30 Mobile1! Shouldn’t they have been using 5W-20? Can them putting in 10W-30 hurt my car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Do they even make Mobil 1 in 5w-20? I've never saw it if they do. I've been using Castrol Syntec. I also use the K&N oil filter part # HP-1002.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, Mobile 1 one does make it, i have 6 bottles sitting in my garage, lol. It's hard to find and they don’t come in the huge bottles u can pick up at Walmart, just the single quart ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
If I would've seen it I would've used that instead. I've always used Mobil 1 in all my cars till I couldn't find it in 5w-20 for our cars. My Wally World SUCKS here because they never have those 5 court jugs in 5w-20. Always out, and when I ask they always say "all we have is on the shelf and I don't know when were going to get more". So I'm always buying the single ones. What a pain to put the old oil in to take to get rid of. Done with my rant!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
xbox4414 said:


this will be the first time I've done my own oil change, so i went threw my receipts from Jiffy lube and i noticed the dumb asses have been putting in 10W-30 Mobile1! Shouldn’t they have been using 5W-20? Can them putting in 10W-30 hurt my car?
You got punished for going to jiffy lube [}:)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Hard to say.

The "-30" part isn't a big deal. Ford and Honda have switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 in the USA for reasons related to EPA fuel mileage ratings (the crank can cut thru the thinner oil easier and thus gives slightly better MPG). In other parts of the world they still call out for the 5W-30.

The "5W" part might be an issue. This first number (i.e., 5W) is the viscosity (thick/thinness) of the oil when the engine is cold. 5W is thinner and will pump up into valve train quicker than 10W.

It's beyond my knowledge to answer what the impact of the 10W might be, if any.

You might try posting this question on: www.bobistheoilguy.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
EricR said:
Hard to say.

The "-30" part isn't a big deal. Ford and Honda have switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 in the USA for reasons related to EPA fuel mileage ratings (the crank can cut thru the thinner oil easier and thus gives slightly better MPG). In other parts of the world they still call out for the 5W-30.
wrong. clearnces are much tighter on new ford and honda motors. 30 weight will have trouble getting under all bearings and such. motors keep getting built tighter and tighter...
and i hate when people say 20 weight oil will cut the life a a motor...

there are plenty of windstars and rangers and foci that i work on with 150xxx+ miles that still seem to run like new.


edit: there are tsb's out saying not to using anything but 5w-20 or they will void your warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Why then in countries without active EPA concerns does Ford still recommend 5W-30 for Duratec engines? The same is true with many of the new honda engines.

Plus, many ford dealers haven't gone to the expense of adding 5W-20 tanks and lines onto their bulk oil handling systems and routinely fill these new engines with the 5W-30 they have been using for ford engines along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
EricR said:
Why then in countries without active EPA concerns does Ford still recommend 5W-30 for Duratec engines? The same is true with many of the new honda engines.

Plus, many ford dealers haven't gone to the expense of adding 5W-20 tanks and lines onto their bulk oil handling systems and routinely fill these new engines with the 5W-30 they have been using for ford engines along.
wrong.

all the ford dealers have 5w-20. could you imagine the law suits that would concure...

the mazda dealer i worked for almost lost their mazda contract becuase they didn't go from 5-30 to having 5w20... well they did have 5w20 but they charged extra....

and once again, there are tsb's on it voiding engine waranties if you use anything esle but
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
FL 910 or FL 793 ?!?

Hey, PZEV, where did you find the filter info?

I made a stop at my local parts store and the person behind the counter told me that Motorcraft didn't make a filter for my car (05 ST.) He was a little upset/surprised when I questioned this and refused to buy the Fram. It's a Ford, and Ford doesn't make a filter for it?

Anyway, he had only one FL910 on the shelf. I had not written down the number you listed, and since I like to buy filters two at time, I passed on picking up the filter. (Btw, the Motorcraft is cheaper than the Fram.)

Now because the idiot at the parts store couldn't tell me the filter, I went to check Motorcraft's website. They list two filters - the FL 793 and FL 910. Now I clicked around and could not find which was best. The 793 has been around for a while, and the 910 is the (05-06) Ford 2.3L only.

Anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks.

313-Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
The reason Jiffy Lube put 10W-30 in instead of the proper 5W-20, is it is the default oil that any place that does oil changes will use. If your car takes something different like ours do, you have to request the proper weight, so I always try to do my maintenance myself, if I can't, I make sure they show me the empty bottles of the proper oil or some other proof that they used the correct weight.
 

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Re: FL 910 or FL 793 ?!?

313-Matt said:

Now because the idiot at the parts store couldn't tell me the filter, I went to check Motorcraft's website. They list two filters - the FL 793 and FL 910. Now I clicked around and could not find which was best. The 793 has been around for a while, and the 910 is the (05-06) Ford 2.3L only.

Anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks.

313-Matt
The 910 has been the Duratec filter since 2003. I don't know why or when the 793 came into play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
i just changed my oil saturday i put in 3.5 quarts of Quaker 5w-20 Peak Performance and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer... I'll tell you what the response in the motor has greatly improved i think this is the way i'm gonna go from now on but maybe next change i'll leave out the $8 quart of Lucas haha o and i also used a Fram Suregrip filter and that number is PH8316
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top