Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my freaking oil filer is stuck on, it must have deformed or something since I can get the filter wrenches both band and ratchet type to get it off any suggestions, I changed the oil 500miles early on the plus side.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
take a piece of low grit sandpaper, fold it in half so you have a double-sided piece of paper. wrap this tightly around your filter, and then slip your filter wrench over the paper. try this, it has worked for me in the past. i now only put them on finger tight with a coating of oil on the rubber. you may want to invest in one of the Bob Vila rubber band wrenches. its kinda looks like a oil filter wrench but the band is made of rubber. and if all this is at no avail. jam a screwdriver through the middle of it. hope his helps ya[thumb]

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can always stick a screwdriver through it and use that as a handle. I have never needed a filter wrench to get mine off. I use K&N filters that have a kind of nut built into the bottom to slap a box wrench onto. The Frams have grit on them so you can get a good grip. Try one of them next time.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Or you can just go to like Advance Auto and get an oil filter socket that fits your filter and use a standard 3/8" ratchet.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, if you shop around and check the parts stores, there are also some "wrenches" that consist of three sharp-edged prongs with a mechanism and nut on the bottom. These wrenches go on the end of the filter like many others, but when you put a socket wrench on it, the twisting force not only turns the filter, but causes the sharp-edged prongs to "move-in" and grip the filter tighter. I believe I bought mine at a Sears Hardware store years ago. I keep one around for cases like this.

Here's a picture of what I am talking about (found it on e-bay):

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/brandsonsale/oilwrench02.jpg?vvid=55228321&allow_mailing_list=1&allow_track_link=1&track=023590a068-be506&sp=0

The screwdrive thing can work, and I 've done it, but it really is a "last resort" sort of thing, as after the drvier has been used, the canister is so deformed and messed-up that nothing else will fit or work any more, i.e., if the screwdrive trick doesn't work, you've eliminate almost all of the other removal options.

P.S. When you last changed the oil, did you smear a light coating of oil around the gasket at the top of the filter before installing?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried the thing b16 recommended won't work for some reason will try to find the tool penguin spoke of. funny it is the motorcraft one. and yes i did smear a light coating of oil

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wouldn't stick a screwdriver through your filter, because if it still won't come off your screwed. At least if it is just stuck you could always take it somewhere. If it's got a screwdriver through the filter and you can't get the filter off you're gonna have to have it towed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
go to sears or an auto part store and but the oil filter attachment that connects to a ratchet and they work soooooo damn good!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats it, its jiffy lube's problem now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts