Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probaby a bad question that i should know but how do you get the oil filter off without getting oil on all the parts below it. i drained the oil from the pan and am now taking the filter off, but oil starts to drip everywhere. i tried sticking a funnel up there but it just flows from the filter housing right down onto everything else. thanks

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
No way I know of. On a Zetec, I usually just rotate it part way, let it dribble down the block, and when its done, take it all off, and wipe up the block and half-shaft as best as possible.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Egz said:
No way I know of. On a Zetec, I usually just rotate it part way, let it dribble down the block, and when its done, take it all off, and wipe up the block and half-shaft as best as possible.
Same. I let all the oil drain out of the pan, then unscrew the filter. I try to tilt the filter up as soon as it's out of the block so it doesn't tilt foward and dump more oil out.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Probably cheaper to get a filter relocator kit...

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
fluid evacuator FTW

you can get them for a couple hundred bucks.
I don't see how thats going to get the oil out of the filter...

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
pretty much do the same as foci. a small hole with a phillips or awl toward the back and bottom of filter. at least it drains and doesnt get all over much.
never thought, do this and have a funnel with a hose going to your drain pan. should keep most of it from going all over.

·
Registered
573 Posts
This may seem too obvious... but why dont you just undo the bolt and let all the oil pour out of the main oil housing piece... then when its done put the screw in, wipe it all down, then move the pan to the oil filter, unscrew that and let the oil drip down your hand and all over the filter, then just place the filter in the pan.. let the area drip clean of oil then put the new filter on?

edit: just realised... you have an 01 and i have an 06... sorry haha

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^^^just let it drip, by shop towels for $2.50, and wipe it off........exfoliate with your car [hihi]

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
problem with just letting it go is it usually ends up on the side of the engine block and the half shaft amongst a couple smaller things. wiping all this down is a pain while laying on your back under the car....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
just take it off, man. i get those cars in all the time where i work, just wipe down whatever gets oily.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what i ended up doing. it was too big of a deal. i slipped a plastic bag over it and then loosened it to try and help catch some oil but that was a bad idea. just made more of a mess. i think you just have to suck it up and wipe down whatever it goes on.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
change it, spray everything with degreaser or brakeparts cleaner, let it all run off and dry itself. No elbow grease involved at all.

I'd like to one day meet those in charge of filter and drain plug locations on ford vehicles. Many many designs put the filter on top of the starter and exhaust so they run down all over everything. I affectionately refer to it as the starter lubrication system. A few older cars such as explorers have the oil drain plug pointing out horizontally so the oil can go nowhere other than onto the frame or suspension 3 ft to the side, some even run out onto the tire. The fwd v8 cars have a design where you have to take off the filter, pull it out sideways, turn it around backwards, force it up and over the swaybar, pulling it forward, then turn it 90 degrees and pull it back to center and down past a couple of parts it barely fits thru. All when covered in scalding hot oil, its lots of fun. Moral of the story, the zetec placement is kinda the suck, but its not nearly as bad as a few other designs. Spray chemicals are your friend.

g

1 - 15 of 15 Posts