Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Focus people...

I just bought a 2005 Focus ZX3 with EVERYTHING! LOVE IT!

But when I went to AutoZone, PepBoys, Kragen - the Fram PH9566 is $15.99 at the cheapest!?

I noticed there is a nice "spiral" of metal on the inside of the filter that makes it a little different than a regular oil filter - but what gives? That is completley insane to charge $16 to $18 for an OIL FILTER!?

Other generic filters are available for cheaper - but do I really need this expensive filter? I haven't looked up the Motorcraft equivalent yet...

What gives? Any suggestions / comments are greatly appreciated!!! [:)]

Also - I live in Southern California where it just doesn't freeze - do I need to stick to the 5w20 oil?

-GAPotter

PS - I was able to find the Fram PH9566 online for about $9 to $12 - but nobody likes paying $8 for shipping!

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
I buy Fram Filters all the time... I dont recall them being dang near $20.

Maybe it's the West Coast Markup. . [hihi]

·
Registered
620 Posts
Penguin\\\'s right. Wal-Mart sells them for $3.28. Ford\\\'s MSRP is $7.67. We sell them for $4.47. I can\\\'t even order them from Ford for what Wal-Mart sells them for....

·
Registered
80 Posts
ogfocus99 said:
Don't cheap out on the filters. Stay away from Fram especially the PH series. Also, beware that the Motocraft filters from Wal-Mart are NOT the same as the dealer part.

Here is some interesting reading:http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html
How are the Motorcraft filters not the same filter from the dealer? When I purchased my Focus, the dealer threw in a DIY Package, which included 12 quarts of Motorcraft oil, 2 Motorcraft filters, Motorcraft Fuel Injector Cleaner, and a Motorcraft multi-purpose degreaser. The filters I received from the dealer were identical to the ones at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Interesting link, but the problem with these "evaluations" is that they never include data on one particular aspect of the oil filter -- how well it filters oil!

From my experience in the pharmaceutical industry where water and many other liquids are filtered, I can tell that the effectiveness and capacity of a filter is not only related to the area of the filtration medium, but is also highly dependent upon the quality and type of the filtration medium. The only real way to test an oil filter is the way Consumers Reports did it many years ago -- dope some new reference oil with know samples of sized particles, measure the filter's efficiency in removing them, run the test until the bypass opens, and then weigh the filters to measure the "particle-trapping" capacity of the filter. (you also would note at what pressure the by pass opens and measure several samples for the correct pressure point and consistency in action).

When you manufacture a filter you have to decide where you are going to allocate the money/cost of manufacture. A good manufacturer will allocate as much as possibile to the filtration medium and/or bypass valve, and less to some other aspects which are purely cosmetic, e.g., as long as the filter can is strong enough not to rupture or leak, putting more cost into the can is a waste. And if a particular bypass valve design works reliably, it does not have to "look good." A perhaps less honest manufacturer might cut costs on the filter media, so they can make the filter "look good" in other cosmetic aspects that potential buyers can see, e.g., put more cost into a needlessly nonfunctional thicker metal canister so people can pick the filter up and say "gee, this must be a really good filter, look how heavy it is!". Then cut back on the quality of the filtatration medium to pay for the thicker canister that people can touch and feel.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a valid oil filter test since that Consumers Reports test of many years ago. And it is so old that the results are no longer relevant. If anyone finds an oil filter test that measures the actual ability of the filter to filter oil, please post a link or reference as I would be extremely interested in seeing the results.

P.S. as far as the Motorcraft filters from the dealer vs. Wal Mart, while few things are impossible, I find it quite difficult to believe that Motrcraft would produce two filters of different quality with their name on it, using identical appearance and identical part numbers, to provide different quality filters to different sellers, e.g., dealers or Wal Mart. If it did not have the Motorcraft name on it, and was produced for Wal Mart with the Wal Mart brand on it, then it would be plausible.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
gapotter said:
Hey Focus people...

Also - I live in Southern California where it just doesn't freeze - do I need to stick to the 5w20 oil?

-GAPotter

You will be fine with 10w30 5w20 is rated for something like sub zero temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gee Whizz:

"But when I went to AutoZone, PepBoys, Kragen - the Fram PH9566 is $15.99 at the cheapest!?"

A few days ago, I purchased a K & N Oil Filter and had change left over for the price you paid.

Be Well.

Bill

·
Registered
672 Posts
ogfocus99 said:
Don't cheap out on the filters. Stay away from Fram especially the PH series. Also, beware that the Motocraft filters from Wal-Mart are NOT the same as the dealer part.

Here is some interesting reading:http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I rather doubt that Ford would allow it's name on an inferior filter. Unless you have facts that it's inferior, please don't cast opinions that confuse. We just want reliable products.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no reason to put a cheap oil filter on your car. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford and Walmart filters were one and the same, but I HIGHLY doubt they use the Motocraft filters on their Mustangs or GT's!! The filters they put on the Focus is not meant to be the most effecient... just the most cost-effective. For ALL the info you need on oil and oil filters this is the best site to get all the info: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

An extra $10 per oil change is worth it to protect your engine. Just like using synthetic oil versus mineral based oil. I love when people argue that there is no difference lol

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford and Walmart filters were one and the same,"

Yeah, since the one sold in Wal Mart comes in a Motorcraft box, with the Motorcraft name on it, printed identical to the one sold at the dealer. The filter inside has the Motorcraft name on it and appears identical to the one sold at the dealer. The Wal Mart name doesn't appear anywhere on the box or filter.

I see no reason to assume Motrocraft in putting different filters into the same boxes with the same part numbers. If nothing else, it would surely be a problem for Motorcraft to handle the inventory if "different" quality parts all had the same part number printed on them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get 'em from the Ford dealer for about $5.
Figure I'll stick with the one Ford makes for thier car. [:)]

It's the synthetic oil that costs the $$$$.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
the filter that comes on the car from the factory is the only one that is different. All the Filters that you buy at the dealer or any other place are the same. They are a standard Purolator filter rebadged and sold by Motorcraft.

GT uses FL2024

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i just bought the fram toughguard for 5 bucks i decided to take a break from the 13 dollar mobil one filter, mostly because the fram is a brand that has been around forever the toughguard is a step up from the normal fram, and it does something with extra filtration for winter starts(so says the box..lol) living in michigan i thought id try it out. but i always use mobil one 5-20. as far as 13 bucks for a fram or motorcraft oil filter???? thats crazy!!! thats how much a mobil one is around here. i would definently shop online for cheaper prices, cause you will find them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts