Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I might have accidentally stripped the threads in the head where most people tap for the oil feed line. Is there anyway to not have a leak short of tapping the threads and risking getting shavings in the oil? I tried JB weld, but that's apparently not working. Maybe RTV?

·
Registered
40 Posts
re tap it.. try putting vas-o-line on the tap and go slow.. it should catch most of the shavings. I had the same thing happen to me

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
its kinda risky not taking out the head to redo it, one little metal shaving could mess up the seals on the valves pretty easy!!

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
rtv definitely wont work. you will need to fix the strip.. whether you do the grease on tap or remove the head is your call.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Grease the tap up well. The grease should catch most of the shavings. Even if one or two shavings fall into the head, it's only aluminum. It should pass through without causing any damage. The key word is should. Just take your time and clean it out the best you can when you are done. Put the liquid thread sealer on the fitting when you install it so you don't have to torque it so much.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the problem isn't the alluminum, yes it will melt, but the problem lies in if he gets it stuck in the valves and they don't seat right!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a chance you take. I have never had a problem, but usually I'm very careful about what debris I leave behind when I have to do something like this. You would freak out if you saw how much debris was left inside a engine when it gets assembled at the factory. It's been pretty good the last few years, but in the mid 90's, it's like they were being assembled under a CNC machine. LOL. I have never had a problem when it came to a simple fix like this. It's either this, or pull the head. I would rather be careful, than spend a weekend under my hood. But then again, you could send the head out for some porting, slam in some new cams ect..... This is why my wife hates when I start working on one of my cars.[histerical]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
or u could just port it urself!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had the money/time to take the head off, port it, get some better cams and timing gears, etc. I'll definitely use the vasoline method. I didn't even think about that before, Thanks dudes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts