Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm just wondering about draining the turbo oil into the valve cover. I've seen it done on a Subaru build before (not on a wrx or sti where there would have been a factory one.) I know that you have to have the drain point between camshaft lobes so you're not draining oil right on them and the oil slinging around. The way my turbo kit is right now, the turbo will sit high enough I can do this. Yes, it may not be the best way, but it's how I'm going to do it. I'll be buying a junkyard hood and making a cowl on it so it all fits nicely. This is on a Duratec too, if that's going to make much difference.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'd love to see a photo of this turbo setup, and why it's mounted so high.
I see no reason why you couldn't drain into the valve cover unless the volume is such that it can't drain fast enough out of the head. I don't see that being an issue, though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know mounting the turbo up there sounds crazy, it's just what I ended up doing with the manifold I bought. Plus I plan on putting in a fairly large turbo, so it was just easier to do it that way. (It will probably be a gt3076r) I'll get a picture later when I can.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also noticed that there seems to be an area where the hose clamps on to the corner of the valve cover (Don't remember what it's called... Valve cover breather?) anyway, if you look inside the valve cover, it looks like there is a chamber in there that prevents the flow of oil up into that hose. I'm thinking if I drill a few small holes in the bottom of that and drain into it that I can control the flow of oil better than just tapping right in. Again, I'll get pictures.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also noticed that there seems to be an area where the hose clamps on to the corner of the valve cover (Don't remember what it's called... Valve cover breather?) anyway, if you look inside the valve cover, it looks like there is a chamber in there that prevents the flow of oil up into that hose. I'm thinking if I drill a few small holes in the bottom of that and drain into it that I can control the flow of oil better than just tapping right in. Again, I'll get pictures.
Do NOT hook your oil drain into the valve cover breather.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do NOT hook your oil drain into the valve cover breather.
I wasn't going to hook it to the valve cover breather, I'm just saying that there is a little chambered area in there that I could use to control where the oil would go once entering the valve cover if I wanted. I don't think there will be enough oil coming out of the turbo for it to matter though.

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
You do know that it wouldnt be that hard to run the hose down to the oil pan , this would help the oil to cool and prevent excessive hot oil to have to drain back through the engine

Just my opinion

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts